CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

johnnykingsman

13th January 2024, 11:48
A slow burner for me. FOI 23 and LOI 7 which took a while.
Several new words for me, 12, 18 and 19 but able to get from wordplay and confirm with Google.
Thanks to Tramp and for contributions here which helped with couple of niggling doubts.
Agree 27 was an excellent clue but as it held me up so long and enjoyed the PDM, I'm going for 7 as COD.
21 of 50  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

13th January 2024, 11:52
Interesting admission from Tramp - I didn’t spot it either, and it says a lot about his generally punctilious cluing.
22 of 50  -   Report This Post

simond9x

13th January 2024, 12:07
Thanks all. I should have spotted those. Bit of a late one last night.
23 of 50  -   Report This Post

juniorbee

13th January 2024, 12:25
Hi everyone, for a change I managed to complete this without having to come here first.. but I had no idea how to parse two of the answers.

One of them - 20 - has been explained above.

So could someone please explain the parsing of 14 to me.
24 of 50  -   Report This Post

actonhighstreet

13th January 2024, 12:44
Definition is a "fast motorbike" (or similar activity). Five letters for "passing" and four for "corner" as a verb.
25 of 50  -   Report This Post

juniorbee

13th January 2024, 13:18
Thanks actonhighstreet.
26 of 50  -   Report This Post

johnto

13th January 2024, 13:52
Re 27A... It used to be (perhaps still is) common to refer to someone qualified by means of 27A as "time served" or as "having done his/her time".
27 of 50  -   Report This Post

birder

13th January 2024, 14:07
Very tough only 2 clues left would appreciate some help

12a I have letters C R. C. A

19d I have letters S T S I
28 of 50  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th January 2024, 14:19
better to give the clues for those who don't have the puzzle

12 an example of a saloon, followed by bits from the next words; def brazilian

19 is staring at you, but will probably need googling
29 of 50  -   Report This Post

micky

13th January 2024, 14:48
I did about the first half of this very quickly, with the N & E filled in easily, but then suddenly slowed down and found the SW very difficult. Like others who have commented, for several clues I could see what the solutions were, but it took me a long time to understand why, but I always eventually got there. 27 was one of those, but when I finally saw the light it became my COD. Unlike some others here, I had no difficulty with "time", but maybe that's because I'm old enough to remember when people were said to have "done their time" after a 27a. Like others, I had never heard of 19d, but the solution seemed obvious once I had the crossing letters, and Google confirmed that the word exists and has the right meaning, so it doesn't feel like a particularly difficult clue to me. On the other hand it didn't feel like a particularly satisfying clue either, nor did several others, so that this will not go down in my annals of first rate crosswords. FOI 20a, which was almost a write-in. LOI 20, though 18d was the last one that I fully parsed.
30 of 50  -   Report This Post