CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

12th January 2024, 15:57
The clues...
Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer, and details of any you already have. Special instructions and/or additional information are common in Listener puzzles, so any details should be included.
Hints only, please, no answers.

The theme...
Help towards the theme may also be sought here. The 'help' should be of a fairly gentle nature - a nudge, a pointer in the right direction... and definitely nothing that would spoil the puzzle for others. Any posts which, even inadvertently, reveal too much are likely to be removed.

The Listener is a unique puzzle and should be treated with respect.
1 of 47  -   Report This Post

jbird54

12th January 2024, 18:18
Easy puzzle this week, IMO. Some very obvious answers. Surprised you could more-or-less finish the grid without knowing the 5-word 'challenge', or the 'subject'.
2 of 47  -   Report This Post

planks

12th January 2024, 19:42
Agreed jBird54. The only bit that held me up was puzzling what MARK was 'appropriately involved' and then 'clang' the penny dropped.
3 of 47  -   Report This Post

cockie

12th January 2024, 22:19
Yes; as it wasn't symmetrical having a 3-letter word for the 18th clue would have made an unch in the unclued entry that matters, and that would have made thought necessary. A stinker next week, no doubt.
4 of 47  -   Report This Post

nxe

12th January 2024, 23:50
What an odd Listener. There's not really any requirement to show any understanding whatsoever of the theme is there? Oh well, simple enough at least.
5 of 47  -   Report This Post

specsaver

13th January 2024, 01:58
Love it. Every time I finish one of these, this thread is full of comments about how easy it was… ;-)
6 of 47  -   Report This Post

bathmatters

13th January 2024, 02:01
Really enjoyed this! Thanks, Franc!
7 of 47  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th January 2024, 05:44
All done except for figuring out where "MARK" fits in but hopefully inspiration will strike soon.

I read the "puzzle subject's" Wiki page a few weeks ago and was very disappointed to learn that 99% of what was portrayed in "the five word challenge" was completely fabricated by him.

The "veracity of claims" section is particularly interesting.
8 of 47  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

13th January 2024, 10:16
I think a look at the unches in the entries referred to in the preamble's penultimate sentence will assist you, brendan.
9 of 47  -   Report This Post

gitto

13th January 2024, 10:48
Is there a misprint in the "Cope ultimately..." clue? It is my only missing answer, but I only have 13 misprints!!
10 of 47  -   Report This Post