CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

simond9x

14th January 2024, 18:52
Foinavon - I think Will (above) is right about MARK. Looking at the subject's Wiki entry, I think the 'elevation' is simply what you've suggested - a former role X, now (by complete contrast) a role Y. I don't think there's anything more to it than that.
31 of 47  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th January 2024, 21:22
This puzzle has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I don't have any problem with Franc's clues or skill as a setter, but I wish he'd of done at least some research on the subject, as even a tiny bit would have revealed that the man is a complete and utter fantasist - he was never a P......R and certainly never a G.....R.

Seriously, read some articles on him by some actual investigative writers, or even just his Wiki page, as opposed to his own shameless self publicity which is, I'm sorry to say, what Franc appears to have done.
32 of 47  -   Report This Post

simond9x

14th January 2024, 21:32
Hi Brendan. In defence of Franc's choice of unclued entries, if you look up a three word phrase (starting with the first role and ending with the second role) in Collins, you'll see it defined pretty much along the lines of what the subject did, according to the first sentence of his Wiki entry. Whether or not he actually did those things is another matter.
33 of 47  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th January 2024, 21:43
But that's exactly the problem, Simon - because he said he did it, doesn't make it so.

Read the 'Veracity of claims' section in the Wiki page along with the what the Universities also say.

Add to that the fact that Google now include this disclaimer, "...nor does it lay claim to the validity of the actions described herein".

If you actually look at the c....s he did, as opposed to those he said he did, you'll see that those that suffered were small businesses and individuals.

Honestly, it's hard to think of a person more deserving of the title "low-life scum".
34 of 47  -   Report This Post

darla

15th January 2024, 02:39
Brendan, perhaps it's a matter of interpreting "subject" as subject of the book and movie, which are certainly highly fictionalized. Considering the five-word phrase, that seems the likely intent.
35 of 47  -   Report This Post

cypherhouse

15th January 2024, 08:35
All done here. Though I needed a read through this forum to understand the last bit about MARK and the meaning of the three unclued entries. One of these days I just might be familiar with the theme of one of these puzzles. Fun solve regardless.
36 of 47  -   Report This Post

catkin

15th January 2024, 09:54
I hope someone can help me with "Pals attending dance". It's my last clue to solve. Perhaps there is a misprint but I can't see it.
37 of 47  -   Report This Post

will37

15th January 2024, 10:10
Catkin, there's a misprint. In the first word
38 of 47  -   Report This Post

will37

15th January 2024, 23:33
And I don't know how that full stop. Ended up on the middle of a sentence!
39 of 47  -   Report This Post

adeano

16th January 2024, 19:05
Filled the grid, but no clue as to the five word challenge or subject…

Really not a fan of this sort of endgame! Of course, there’s every chance I’m just being dense and missing the obvious…

Please would someone give me a hint?
40 of 47  -   Report This Post