CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dougalf

7th January 2024, 17:31
daz, 21d relies on 2 meanings for pegged it - Note by Admin, deleted part as I am informed that it reveals an answer.

I really like the variety in Everyman but it sounds like you prefer your clues more Ximean? Horses for courses I suppose.
31 of 45  -   Report This Post

phil10000

7th January 2024, 17:38
Thanks Geeker and Geting. The minus is something I hadn't considered. Still think it's a bit shaky, though, as what appears on the screen is clearly a hyphen, not a minus sign. (This is what comes of years of correcting hyphens to en dashes!)
32 of 45  -   Report This Post

daz

7th January 2024, 18:13
Yes, I am most definitely of the Ximean persuasion: fair-dealing.

I did not know there were any other types of standards for cryptic crosswords.
33 of 45  -   Report This Post

jono

7th January 2024, 18:43
Daz, there are broadly two schools in crossword setting, Ximeneans and Libertarians. We live side by side.

However, everyone agrees on one rule… “to be fair”.

“I need not mean what I say, but I must say what I mean” – Afrit[/ii]
34 of 45  -   Report This Post

geeker

7th January 2024, 19:01
I started UK cryptics in late '90s, got more serious in early oughts. I am not picky about cluing, so perhaps an extreme libertarian. I consider cryptics as battles of wits between the setter and myself, and naturally the setter sometimes wins. Being American, I've often been stumped by various UK GK, rhyming slang,...so can deal with defeats.
35 of 45  -   Report This Post

mrsausages

7th January 2024, 20:51
I got most of this one done on the train up to London this morning, then all but one of the rest on the way back. Last one in, once home, was, bizarrely, 25a. I seem to have an absolute blind-spot where the only crossers are vowels. Apart from the mild self-chastisement on that one stumping me for so long today has been a good day.
36 of 45  -   Report This Post

jimnfin

7th January 2024, 21:43
Everyman's can also be IM as in "Everyman is"
37 of 45  -   Report This Post

fernie

9th January 2024, 17:51
High folks, I can't make any sense of 24 & 25. Knowing which part was the definition would help. Is there a signifier?
38 of 45  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th January 2024, 17:53
24 def. is Henry
Take the first letters of the last six words in clue
39 of 45  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th January 2024, 17:57
obe se para te mporarily
40 of 45  -   Report This Post