CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

nickos20

7th January 2024, 10:24
Nice. Fairly easy 23a my favourite surely Everyman is superfluous in 12d?
11 of 45  -   Report This Post

justsolve

7th January 2024, 10:27
A very nicely balanced solve with its equal share if write-ins and head scratchers.

I am confused by 16d though, I can see a model and an Iberian kingdom which together to form part of a dish, but what duty is the monarch performing in the wordplay?

If anyone can put me out of my misery it would be much appreciated as always!
12 of 45  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

7th January 2024, 10:29
R rex) is a male monarch
13 of 45  -   Report This Post

fitzrover

7th January 2024, 10:32
Thanks, both of you.

I grew up using a lot of rhyming slang but don't think I've ever encountered syrup.

Jono: that's how I got my answer, but then I was left wondering what "Everyman's" is contributing - wouldn't that normally imply also inserting me or my or mine?
14 of 45  -   Report This Post

justsolve

7th January 2024, 10:34
Nickos I see where you are coming from, but I think the setter intended the 2-letter word to mean "I am disgusted" with Everman's therefore necessary to provide the missing 2 letters it represents. Frankly it works equally well for me either way, my quibble would be with the definition as I associate the phrase with people not activities so something like "they provide pointless diversions" would have worked better IMO. But still a very good puzzle I thought.
15 of 45  -   Report This Post

justsolve

7th January 2024, 10:39
Ah-ha, thank you Jazzgirl, I should check spellings before posting!
16 of 45  -   Report This Post

drjax

7th January 2024, 11:34
An enjoyable, gentle affair today with a good mix of clues. I agree that ‘I’m’ isn’t really needed in 12. I think many activities are also described as being the answer now - not just people (a lot of social media for example) so that works for me too.
17 of 45  -   Report This Post

justsolve

7th January 2024, 11:41
Fair point DrJax
18 of 45  -   Report This Post

coffindodger

7th January 2024, 12:16
I am stuck on the parsing of 21d even though the definition and crossers make the answer pretty obvious. Any pointers please?
19 of 45  -   Report This Post

dougalf

7th January 2024, 12:26
@coffindodger perhaps a phrase from the news last year helps: "the X of Roald Dahl approved the changes"
20 of 45  -   Report This Post