CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

22nd December 2023, 11:56
The clues...
Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer, and details of any you already have. Any additional information or special instructions, common in Listener puzzles, should also be included.
Hints only, please, no answers.

The theme...
Help towards the theme may also be sought here. The 'help' should be a nudge or two, a pointer in the right direction - something to help a struggling solver without spoiling the puzzle for others. Any queries or responses which, even inadvertently, reveal too much information are likely to be removed.

The Listener is a unique puzzle and should be treated with respect.

This is being posted early due to all the other demands on my time today.
1 of 57  -   Report This Post

cmjhutton

22nd December 2023, 17:16
Really lovely crossword, and thought all was going oh so well until I realised I am completely stuck on one letter. If anyone has any pointers for ‘hides second sentiment…’ that would be very kind. I have two candidate words, but one doesn’t really fit the wordplay and the other doesn’t really fit the definition.
2 of 57  -   Report This Post

dylan

22nd December 2023, 18:14
I find the rubric baffling! Is each card a whole number of rows, for which we only have clues to some middle rows?
3 of 57  -   Report This Post

dodgepot

22nd December 2023, 18:54
No, Dylan, it isn’t. I suggest you just treat it as a normal crossword, the middle card, with some blank cells and clashes. I wouldn’t think about the other two cards till the end.

Cmjhutton, the wordplay for that clue is pretty clear, so I suggest you dig deeper to match the definitions.

I can’t abide the film, but it all works out nicely enough
4 of 57  -   Report This Post

cockie

22nd December 2023, 19:09
Never seen the film, and it's not on my must-see list. I assume that what is required is the completed middle card with the changes needed in the top and bottom cards with the highlighted messages. Or is it just the 32 highlighted cells?
5 of 57  -   Report This Post

dodgepot

22nd December 2023, 19:14
I’m sure every cell must be full, with the two messages highlighted. Nowhere does it tell you to erase anything, only to hide letters of lower cards where appropriate
6 of 57  -   Report This Post

buddy

22nd December 2023, 21:00
cockie, it's unfortunately quite popular in the buddy household, and I would recommend moving it to your "must not see" list.
7 of 57  -   Report This Post

will37

22nd December 2023, 21:32
I struggled with this setter's previous puzzles, although I got there in the end. This one I found slightly less of a challenge but still pleasantly taxing. Thank you, Lionheart.
8 of 57  -   Report This Post

jordan

22nd December 2023, 21:39
Could do with a push on "Historic laws force..."

I have a blank followed by DSOS and have ground to a halt on my final entry.
9 of 57  -   Report This Post

rhsl

22nd December 2023, 22:22
Jordan, you can get the first letter from the relevant across entry
10 of 57  -   Report This Post