CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

will37

22nd December 2023, 10:13
The name and the description "talkative" can be found under the "some first names" section at the back of the BRB
91 of 103  -   Report This Post

will37

22nd December 2023, 10:15
Sorry, Malone. I didn't see that you'd already replied.
92 of 103  -   Report This Post

mooncow

22nd December 2023, 11:59
Thanks smithsax, malone, will, I feel happier about that now. I did mean to check the answer in BRB but can’t put my hands on my physical copy. I too mostly use the app, and as far as I know the list of names is not available in that :-( Thanks all, and thematic phrase all round.
93 of 103  -   Report This Post

simond9x

22nd December 2023, 13:34
The hardcopy appendices aren't available in the app but they are there in the CD version of Chambers. The latter also has a very useful 'Full Text' search which, unfortunately, is also not available in the app.
94 of 103  -   Report This Post

raggedy

23rd December 2023, 17:43
No one, I think, has mentioned that 1dn and 21dn are Xmas Passed clues, but they also both have a missing letter in the wordplay which makes them Xmas yet to come. Am I missing something?
Not got the phrase yet so a bit more staring but running out of time.
95 of 103  -   Report This Post

will37

23rd December 2023, 17:53
I don't see that either 1d or 21d is missing a letter.
96 of 103  -   Report This Post

dodgepot

23rd December 2023, 17:56
They are indeed both Xmas Passed clues, but neither is missing a letter in the wordplay. The IVR for Afghanistan is 3 letters, while the reversal in 1d splits 2,3,4. You might want to look up the 3
97 of 103  -   Report This Post

raggedy

23rd December 2023, 20:16
Sorry, yes you're right - after posting I immediately saw that I had missed the synonym for damn in 1 dn. In 21dn I had assumed a
the G was missing from the IVR and instead I had "G" as the spot,
So post withdrawn (but now not sure what "on the spot" means.

NB Earlier post referred to Chamber CD. I had both versions but I don't think it was updated after I bought my copy in 2005 (compatible with NT4, 98SE, ME,2000 or XP!) so I'm always aware that I may miss a word that is in the latest dictionary but not on the CD. Is the app any good?
98 of 103  -   Report This Post

will37

23rd December 2023, 20:29
"On the spot" is a 2-letter word which can be variously a preposition, an adverb, an adjective, a verb or a noun.
99 of 103  -   Report This Post

mooncow

26th December 2023, 03:28
I find the app very handy for Listenering on the move. As a bonus it has a pattern match and anagrammer, although some abbreviations and variant forms are sometimes overlooked by these. As simond9x mentioned, the app doesn’t have the full entry search that the CD had, nor does it have the appendices. I have the CD somewhere, but I don’t think I have a computer I can run it on any more! The app says it’s the 13th edition of the dictionary, which I think is the current one, but I don’t know whether it’ll update with a new edition or not.
100 of 103  -   Report This Post