CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mullingar

3rd December 2023, 22:15
Hello all. I believe i have it mostly sorted but im struggling with the match. Where should i be looking? Is it a straightforward synonym? Only 4 letters...? Am i correct in assuming the victim is jumbled to produce the real words? So close...
91 of 147  -   Report This Post

mullingar

3rd December 2023, 22:25
I'd be interested to hear Planks' perspective on the subject. I have to say i think it is an unusual and distinctive example of the genre and pleasingly British and rural as opposed to the more stereotypical fare
92 of 147  -   Report This Post

drxx

3rd December 2023, 23:16
Hello, mullingar - I haven't spotted the brand name mentioned earlier but there's a synonym for 'match' in Chambers and this can be found very close to where the highlighting begins (it isn't 4 letters long and it isn't in a straight line).
The preamble doesn't tell us to highlight the 'match' - we're to show we've spotted it by showing its effect on the structure (I think).

You're right about the victim.
93 of 147  -   Report This Post

soleus

4th December 2023, 11:16
Finally I think I know what's happening in the bottom 4 rows, having solved the last half of the across clues and 1. But I still can't put anything in, because everything can still slide across! So I need a hint or two. Nudges on 3, 6 and 7 would be appreciated. And maybe 30.
94 of 147  -   Report This Post

ukridge

4th December 2023, 11:27
I found myself in the same position as cockie re the number of cells i had remaining in the structure - I had 44. To make matters worse I have now 'discovered' an extra two in the eighth row. There I have four bars with the outermost in the same position as those on the fifth row. I can't see how that can be wrong, given that my only entry in the eighth begins in the third column, straddles the 3x3 space and ends in the first column. Is that correct? Those two 'extra' bars look wrong and take the cell count to 46. I have the match and all the entries seem to be correct but I am obviously doing something wrong.
95 of 147  -   Report This Post

muraria

4th December 2023, 11:38
It all looks right to me ukridge, are you counting the outside cells in your middle rows?
96 of 147  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

4th December 2023, 11:42
Hello Soleus

I think by Monday it is OK to say that rows 1 and 13 do not wrap round.

Think about how 3 and 6 MUST be arranged in relation to 4 and 5 down

I don't think anyone has a word for a part of a sewer, let alone a derivative adjective. Try removing a letter
97 of 147  -   Report This Post

ukridge

4th December 2023, 11:51
What do you mean by 'outside cells' muraria? Each of my rows six and seven has two bars, in identical positions and narrower than the ones immediately above and below. Is that correct?

Update on my numbers: because of a post I saw (and possibly misunderstood) yesterday, I was counting the top row of the grid as part of the structure. I'm now thinking that's wrong, but still can't reconcile the numbers. I'm getting 41 now.
98 of 147  -   Report This Post

mullingar

4th December 2023, 12:10
And im still not convinced ive got the match...unless its a 5 letter word in the 12th row and the central lettet is not coloured. Is this right? It was suggested that the letters were not in a straight line but these are🤷‍♂️
99 of 147  -   Report This Post

soleus

4th December 2023, 12:28
Thanks very much, woodlouse! I'd guessed as much for row 1. I've just about filled in the grid. Endgame to look forward to!
100 of 147  -   Report This Post