CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

29th October 2023, 12:58
Well that was different - don't think I've ever seen the gimmick doubled up like this before now (and so many extraneous words used because of it).
Plus there's a little trap that only became apparent to me when I bothered to check everything off (sneaky... or maybe I should have been more careful as I went along}.
1 of 26  -   Report This Post

macavity

29th October 2023, 21:09
I enjoyed that, was a bit daunted by preamble but all came together with a bit of effort
2 of 26  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

30th October 2023, 13:41
I nearly tripped up at the end due to a couple of short answers that I was about to intersperse with bars. The definition of the one beginning with 'a' was new to me, although I suspect I am not alone in that regard.
3 of 26  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

31st October 2023, 15:37
I've ground to a halt on two fronts. Despite various searches, looking through books/lists I can't see anything for the second definition/answer in 'Toni, Geri and I attend demo on Godalming High Street'/'Having more public houses puts Swansea ahead of the rest'. I am assuming that the first clue contains the two word definition of a proper noun mentioned in the preamble. I was hoping to work backwards by filling in the grid with the answers I have but therein lies my second problem. In the top short row I have a 4 letter word followed by a 6 letter one but once I start trying to enter down answers then further across ones I am getting clashes. I think that the two 10 letter words I've found in across clues will appear in the final grid and that the two 10 letter words and the 11 letter word I've found in the down clues won't. A nudge/big shove in the right direction would be appreciated.
4 of 26  -   Report This Post

drxx

31st October 2023, 15:45
Both quite long bits - read on from NI... and MO...
5 of 26  -   Report This Post

drxx

31st October 2023, 15:47
...the other one you mention accounts for both of them.
6 of 26  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

31st October 2023, 15:50
Thanks for that Drxx, I have the Ni and its pair. I think the Mo is 4,3 but can't find its pair in the corresponding down clue.
7 of 26  -   Report This Post

drxx

31st October 2023, 15:51
...you'll get seven down answers entered if your across 4, 6 letter answers are correct (but those are the right counts). There are no clashes.
8 of 26  -   Report This Post

drxx

31st October 2023, 15:54
It's an odd 3 letter deity I'd not heard of before, alwayspuzzled (and is the little trap/oversight that is mentioned twice below.
9 of 26  -   Report This Post

drxx

31st October 2023, 16:01
I think your 11 letter discovery could be the def for the answer 4 rows up from the bottom.
10 of 26  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1614