CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cypherhouse

30th October 2023, 20:37
All finished now. I appreciated the theming of the altered entries, but otherwise found the endgame to be a bit underwhelming for the amount of effort that went into solving. Still not completely sure I understand the relevance of one of the entries formed by resolving the clashes.
41 of 60  -   Report This Post

kitsune

30th October 2023, 21:49
Came to this late after a very pleasant weekend away. I thought it was a decent challenge with some quite devious cluing. Thank you JFD for a rigorous workout!
42 of 60  -   Report This Post

foinaven

31st October 2023, 09:34
I have finished and can submit the solution, but I have two queries. First, I cannot find the third letter in the Alias, although I know that it can be placed after one of the existing entries. But when I try this, nothing works. Secondly - and this is perhapsconnected - I cannot solve 16D.

Everything else is fine. This was a very challenging solve. I spent a lot of time staring at the grid trying to find the wrong location. So much for Robert Graves.
43 of 60  -   Report This Post

candledave

31st October 2023, 09:40
16d is an anagram

The letters for the alias come from two different sources
44 of 60  -   Report This Post

foinaven

31st October 2023, 09:59
Thanks. I ought to have seen the anagram, and I can now see how the missing letter arises.
45 of 60  -   Report This Post

bluecormorant

31st October 2023, 19:23
I've reached the point where I'm either very close, or I've made a number of serious errors and I'm miles away! Happily I have a long train journey tomorrow where I can focus on this, so some help in advance would be great. Specifically:

3D - I can guess the correction, but no idea about the clue. Nothing seems to fit.

14D - The word I have is the only one that fits, but I can't fit it to the wordplay or definition so maybe it's wrong!

Many thanks in advance.
46 of 60  -   Report This Post

drxx

31st October 2023, 19:47
3d Misprint in the first word indicates it's archaic - 1 letter abbrev for the measure + a 3 letter abbrev containing a synonym ('only' - 3 letters).
14d Misprint gives a synonym for colours - OR + (minus its last letter) 'the less obvious ones' (not 'these').
47 of 60  -   Report This Post

bluecormorant

31st October 2023, 20:21
Many thanks drxx, that gives me something to go on.
48 of 60  -   Report This Post

quiz

1st November 2023, 02:08
I’m all done, but unhappy with 32d. The wordplay makes perfect sense, but that leaves the definition as ‘waders protected’. Waders - fine. But protected? They are, but no more than any other wild bird. Which makes it seem a poor definition, unless I’m missing something?
49 of 60  -   Report This Post

rickye

1st November 2023, 08:40
This has been a real slog for me but I am reasonably satisfied with everything but completion of 25 which is eluding me. I guess the word has been trimmed somehow.
50 of 60  -   Report This Post