CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

24th October 2023, 18:41
Yes, that's a possibility.
81 of 108  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

24th October 2023, 19:23
I am guessing from OptO's posts about shading mirror image cells that his / her problem may be because they are assuming the line of symmetry is the centre of the grid, which it isn't.

Just shade the letters that aren't in the quotation and if the 9 the be erased don't immediately jump out you've got a problem with your grid.
82 of 108  -   Report This Post

buddy

24th October 2023, 19:33
sh, yes, I was implicitly assuming that if you have the 9 cells you must realize that the line of symmetry goes through the 9 and therefore the 33 must be symmetric about that same line. Maybe that should have been made more clear.
83 of 108  -   Report This Post

0pt0

24th October 2023, 20:43
Buddy; re your query at # 77, what I meant is that if (say) the top left cell contained a letter not used in the quotation, then I would also highlight the top right cell
84 of 108  -   Report This Post

buddy

24th October 2023, 21:19
shade only the letters not used in the quote, don't worry about mirror symmetry at this step. You'll have a bunch of random cells, except for 9 which have a definite shape and show symmetry within those 9 cells (as noted earlier, its a face). The 33 surround those 9 along the same line of symmetry.
85 of 108  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

25th October 2023, 10:47
Late to the party again. This will be a continuing story as there is a wheen of work to do in the new hoose.

Thanks to Xanthippe for a fun gridfill. I thoroughly enjoyed that novelty. If the endgame is a a reference to what I think it is, however, I’ll keep a twelve foot pole between me and the theme!
86 of 108  -   Report This Post

0pt0

25th October 2023, 11:52
Thanks Buddy. In my grid I have 23 letters which are not used in the quotation. Does the block of 9 cells include four of them?
87 of 108  -   Report This Post

drxx

25th October 2023, 13:17
My count is 24 unused letters for the grid total, 0pt0 - so, one of us has miscounted (but it could be me because I'm prone to error in that department).
I assume you're then counting the number of different letters (alphabetically) featured in the block of 9, and counting only 4. This must be wrong, because there are 6 different letters in the block of 9 - one letter is doubled and another is tripled (the two multiples making 5, plus 4 singles, 9 in all).

Or have I misunderstood your question altogether? (I'm sorry, if that's the case, but I'm heading out now - hopefully, buddy will get back to you in the meantime.)
88 of 108  -   Report This Post

cass

25th October 2023, 14:54
Help, please, with the parsing of 24d and 25d. Also, of the two words removed, is the second one three letters long?

I've completed the other clues, and just need to enter the relevant pieces into the SE corner,

Thanks in advance.
89 of 108  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

25th October 2023, 15:36
Cass

Yes, the second word is 3 letters.

24d - word for control cycled
25d - hidden clue

0pt0 - I have 23 cells yes. The 9 you are looking for are 9 of these 23, not a block of 3*3

90 of 108  -   Report This Post