CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rickye

21st October 2023, 12:24
Really enjoying this. My final piece is that containing 15a which I have not solved satisfactorily. I was working on the definition being the last two words but might need to be looking at the first?
21 of 108  -   Report This Post

kirky

21st October 2023, 12:30
i thought it was the last 2 words ...isn't this one of the clues with the extra word in?
22 of 108  -   Report This Post

rickye

21st October 2023, 12:35
Think so. My answer parses. Just not found the piece word. I’ll keep looking
23 of 108  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

21st October 2023, 12:39
Rickye - definition is indeed last two words - wordplay includes four conventional abbreviations (inclusive of one repeated).
24 of 108  -   Report This Post

rickye

21st October 2023, 12:39
I was overlooking a cell. Ho hum!
25 of 108  -   Report This Post

polyn

21st October 2023, 16:01
Regarding these extra words ...

The preamble discusses "piece" clues and then says "In two other clues a word needs removing ...". I read this to mean two clues which are not "piece" clues, but kirky's comment suggests otherwise.

Does anyone agree/disagree with my interpretation? I've filled the grid, and think I know the author and the quotation, but I'm having trouble finding more than one word which doesn't "fit" with the clues and my answers!

26 of 108  -   Report This Post

gem94

21st October 2023, 16:06
Between the two, confusing 15a and the piece clue.
27 of 108  -   Report This Post

polyn

21st October 2023, 16:08
Forget that post - I thought rickeye was akinhg about the clue for the "piece" which contains 15ac, and not 15 ac itself.

Whatever, I am now happy with my two missing words (which fit with my interpretation!), although I think the attribution of the quote seems a bit tenuous?
28 of 108  -   Report This Post

buzzermaster

21st October 2023, 17:43
Sorry if I'm just being rather dense, but I'm having trouble understanding the preamble. I can't figure out what tabs and indents are meant to indicate.
Have solved a little under half the piece clues and all but a couple across/down clues, so I'm seeing roughly where pieces will go--just can't get my head around the tabs and indents!

Apologies if I'm just missing something obvious, but some gentle help in understanding the preamble would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
29 of 108  -   Report This Post

buddy

21st October 2023, 17:53
An indent is a "bite" taken out of a 3x3 block:

XXX
XX
XXX

a tab is an added piece to a 3x3 block

xxx
xxxx
xxx

tabs from one block must fit into indents from another block, as with actual jigsaw puzzle pieces
30 of 108  -   Report This Post