CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

espebe

22nd October 2023, 22:07
Thanks. I'll try that.
51 of 108  -   Report This Post

neophyte

23rd October 2023, 00:02
Another lovely puzzle, though I'm slightly annoyed with myself that I needed the help of this forum to complete the endgame. One small query re the clue beginning 'Ray and Kelvin', I can't see any justification in Chambers for the 3-letter version of the word for salmon. Should I be looking somewhere else?
52 of 108  -   Report This Post

dodgepot

23rd October 2023, 00:11
It’s referred to in Chambers. The second definition directs you to the more common spelling
53 of 108  -   Report This Post

gitto

23rd October 2023, 06:47
I decided to have another stab at the end game and am now in the same position as espebe in that I have a nice symmetrical shape highlighted, but not a scooby-doo as to what it represents. I am also slightly confused as to what to do with the nine empty cells. Are they or are they not shaded? Either choice satisfies the preamble after the second instruction. Knowing what the shading is representing would certainly help.
54 of 108  -   Report This Post

neophyte

23rd October 2023, 07:56
Thanks Dodgepot. Quite right. I was being blind.

Gitto - with the 9 blanked cells, my symmetrical shape looks like a pixellated version of something
55 of 108  -   Report This Post

gitto

23rd October 2023, 08:36
😊
56 of 108  -   Report This Post

foinaven

23rd October 2023, 10:15
I now see that I was working with the wrong version of the quotation! No wonder I could not make it work. And the symmetry is about a point not a line! How dumb can I be!
57 of 108  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

23rd October 2023, 11:58
I've been struggling with the endgame for days making no progress, so this is a relative naive reply, but in response to Foinaven, I'm confused as to how the symmetry is about a point rather than a line, given the preamble refers to the jumble being in "mirror-symmetrical" cells. Wouldn't mirror symmetry imply a line of symmetry? I'm very confused about how to proceed!
58 of 108  -   Report This Post

0pt0

23rd October 2023, 12:48
I'm with Crowdedmorning. I have a full grid, but cannot see what to highlight. So before I spend any more time looking for the quotation, perhaps someone would be kind enough to confirm whether what I am looking for is correct. I have 33 letters making words of lengths 3, 7, 2. 5, 3, 8 and 5.
59 of 108  -   Report This Post

buddy

23rd October 2023, 12:57
As several prior posts have noted, the easiest way in is to highlight all letters NOT in the quote. Since what is to be shaded has mirror symmetry, what does that say about what is be erased? What to erase should be apparent, leading to the highlighting around it.
60 of 108  -   Report This Post