CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

8th July 2023, 00:49
Pretty much raced through this Prize by Philistine so I'm guessing it's at the easier end of the scale.

That said, I haven't fully parsed 4d, where I'm puzzled as to how the start equates to "section (or 'old section') of paper" - unless it just means one of its letters?

If you do get stuck there is at least one long anagram and at least one hidden, both in the downs.

I had written that I suspected a mistake in 27a but, just as I was finishing the sentence, I suddenly had a Eureka moment and realised the mistake was all mine!

I did have to check Google to confirm the abbr. for Rebecca but it's there so no problem.

COD - a tie this week between 1d and 17d, which both use the same device.

Let us know you got on.

Thanks to Philistine for a witty and enjoyable Prize crossword.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 41  -   Report This Post

geeker

8th July 2023, 02:11
Thanks, Brendan.
I also found this rather easy...started late, but finished in about half the time required for (each of) the last two Prizes, which were only slightly on the easy side.

But grateful to Philistine for many nice clues that drew smiles!

FOI 6, got off to a slightly slow start.
LOI and COD 1d!

Clues 8, (2,12) and 23 were near-CODs. Also enjoyed 16, 17, 10, 26, 7, 19 and 15, which indicates that I had fun.

3 was new, but clear from parsing.
Agreed on the Rebecca abbrev., which I'd never seen but didn't bother to look up for the same reason.
2 of 41  -   Report This Post

geeker

8th July 2023, 02:14
Brendan, you're looking at 4 the wrong way... :-)
Take a step back and stare at the clue...it's not a charade.

(slap forehead)
3 of 41  -   Report This Post

klazomaniac

8th July 2023, 02:15
It's a telescopic brendan
4 of 41  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th July 2023, 02:16
Hi Geeker,

Yes, 1d is a cracker although it took me a while to figure out the wordplay even though, given the crossing letters, the answer could only be one thing.
5 of 41  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th July 2023, 02:20
Oh wow, completely missed that!

Thanks Geeker, thanks Klazomaniac, much appreciated:-)
6 of 41  -   Report This Post

geeker

8th July 2023, 02:22
Being American, I was proud of getting 8, even though I had to google...Being a jazz fan helped: Pres via Mingus (whose memorial tune Joni Mitchell even recorded!).
7 of 41  -   Report This Post

geeker

8th July 2023, 02:32
Musical SPOILER ALERTs for 8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2x3jbX0ePk The original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAy_NQoADR8&t=5s The late Jeff Beck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_9QfYIaoTQ&t=3s Joni Mitchell

🤣
8 of 41  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th July 2023, 02:39
"... I suddenly had a Eureka moment" - aren't all Eureka moments sudden?

Geeker, I'm not in the least surprised you got 8d - in the past, whenever I'd see these uniquely English clues, be they referring to apparel, cricket, food or whatever. I'd invariably think "I wonder how Geeker will cope with this" but it hardly ever crosses my mind now.

You'll be enjoying a Sunday roast and sporting a pin-stripe suit and bowler before you know it 😀
9 of 41  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th July 2023, 02:44
That's great Geeker,

I knew CM and Joni Mitchell had recorded an album together but that Jeff Beck cover was completely new to me.
10 of 41  -   Report This Post