CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rocky7

8th July 2023, 16:36
Hi Roof. Hope your husband is OK.

Think Posh and...
21 of 41  -   Report This Post

micky

8th July 2023, 18:01
I normally don't post off-topic material, but I have to say that I wish Roof's husband the best.

Like others who have commented I found this easier than usual. FOI 4d, which I thought was so ridiculously easy as not to belong in Guatdian Prize puzzle, but from reading comments above not everyone found it so easy. Well, very often it's the other way round, with me getting stuck on a clue that nobody else has any problem with. LOI & COD 17d, with 1d a close runner up. Even after it was obvious what 17d had to be, from the definition and crossing letters, I couldn't see the wordplay at all, and then I had a eureka moment, and laughed out loud. (And, yes, it was a sudden eureka moment.) My DOC (reverse of COD) is 19d; I really don't think it's a very well-constructed clue, though of course I've known far worse. An emjoyable puzzle. 🙂
22 of 41  -   Report This Post

micky

8th July 2023, 18:03
* Note to self: For goodness sake, Micky, always proof-read before you post, to avoid silly typoes.
23 of 41  -   Report This Post

roof

8th July 2023, 19:46
Well I'm back. At 6.00pm I'd still got five left, but had to water the greenhouse and pick the fruit. We have a lot of raspberries and loganberries from a few canes.

I think a hint would help for 11ac. I only have ???E?D?S?

I haven't found 4d at all easy. I think I have 4 of the 5 letters, but I'm not sure what the answer is. Similarly, I can guess at the second part of 1ac, which I assume is where drinks are served. Ooops - just got it. So that just leaves 1d, 2d and 4d and 11ac.

But as I write I think I have 2d, though I can't quite parse it and 12ac yet.

I'll have another think. Thank goodness it is relatively easy this week.
24 of 41  -   Report This Post

roof

8th July 2023, 19:48
...and I've just got 11ac, though I've still to work out the parsing of the last four letters.
25 of 41  -   Report This Post

geeker

8th July 2023, 20:04
Last 4 letters of 11 is a term for "race".
26 of 41  -   Report This Post

geeker

8th July 2023, 20:07
Roof, 1d is funny (my COD).

Defn. is "relish", parses as 3, 1, 2 (having gone straight).
27 of 41  -   Report This Post

roof

8th July 2023, 20:42
Hi Geeker

I did get 1d straight away. I know the word and even have a jar of the relish in my cupboard, but have never tried it. I believe it is Japanese.

I was pleased to finish. My FOI was 8d. I spotted the clue and it was a write in for me. My LOI was 4d, which is a word I don't know, except with an e in front.

My CODs were 8d, 17d and 1d

I keep noticing that at least one of the answers in the cryptic prize puzzle on Saturdays has the same answer as one of the answers in the quick crossword today. Is this deliberate?

I look forward to next week
28 of 41  -   Report This Post

micky

8th July 2023, 20:47
Hello again, Roof. 2d+12a is a word for "lots" inside an anagram. 4d is a "section of" the clue, definition "wiped out old". I'm not keen on the clue, because the word "old" doesn't seem to me to really add anything: just "wiped out" would do, unless of course there's a meaning to "old" that I've missed.
29 of 41  -   Report This Post

micky

8th July 2023, 20:48
Well, I wrote out a message to roof, and when I posted it I saw she had posted again, saying she had finished. Oh well....
30 of 41  -   Report This Post