CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

1st April 2023, 19:38
11 is one of my favorite words. Defn. is "having to do with stars". First 4 letters are generic for a football (or other sports) team, next four letters are a specific football team.
31 of 47  -   Report This Post

micky

1st April 2023, 19:40
My answer to Geeker referred to 1d, but it applies to 22a too.
32 of 47  -   Report This Post

micky

1st April 2023, 19:47
Even with your help, Geeker, 11a required a couple of minutes for me to work it out, but like the others it's obvious once I got there. Thanks for your help. I still have 3 to do, all of which cross 11a, so I'll have a look at them with the help of 11a, and keep asking for more help in reserve as a last resort.
33 of 47  -   Report This Post

micky

1st April 2023, 20:04
OK, I got there in the end. Quite enjoyable, I think. FOI 20, LOI 5, which I had never heard of, despite having lived in east London for 7 years, a long time ago. COD, either 12a or 19a. DOC (opposite of COD) 3d, because I think it's a remarkably weak clue, unless there's a clever second way of reading it which I have missed. I still haven't quite forgiven Soup for slowing my start down with the misleading instruction, but I admit it was quite amusing once I realised, and after that it did help with a few clues.
34 of 47  -   Report This Post

geeker

1st April 2023, 20:29
Regarding Soup's tricky instruction, we should bear today's date in mind. 😉
35 of 47  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

1st April 2023, 21:05
Micky, re 3d, "sound" indicates a homophone.
36 of 47  -   Report This Post

micky

1st April 2023, 22:19
Mathprofrockstar, yes, of course!
37 of 47  -   Report This Post

dayzymay

2nd April 2023, 09:19
Morning all, always late to post, tried on my own, looked at forum, still completely baffled.

Tips to get me started welcome, otherwise it's going in the recycling.

Obviously not my kind of Soup.....
38 of 47  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd April 2023, 09:41
Hi Dayzymay,
Don’t be put off by the special instruction. It’s an ordinary cryptic. Soup did drop in to the forum yesterday (see @15) suggesting mischief may be at play given it was April fool’s day!

As you progress you will see certain solutions (13 by my count) do have a characteristic in common which is explained by the instruction. Once you spot this it will further help with solving I expect. Anagrams at 2 and 17 should get you started. Good luck!
39 of 47  -   Report This Post

prospero

2nd April 2023, 09:59
dayzymay - there is a clue in 4ac as to how to solve 13 themed answers. 28 is one - and should get you started.
40 of 47  -   Report This Post