CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

25th March 2023, 20:30
Thanks to everyone for the hints. I managed to finish before eating dinner, which my husband cooks on crossword day. I did find it hard.

I still can't see what the anagram is for 11ac, but I think I have the right answer. I also got 13d and it was my LOI, though once again I don't think it parses properly.

My FOI was 24ac and then 2D. My CODs are 8ac (took me ages), 26ac and 26d. I also liked 10ac and 17d.
51 of 69  -   Report This Post

chrise

25th March 2023, 20:39
11 is DURING ITS and I. I think it's a poor clue.
52 of 69  -   Report This Post

geeker

25th March 2023, 20:43
Yes, the first word of 11 is pretty clear given the "bike" part of the wordplay. But the second word seems odd and questionable.
53 of 69  -   Report This Post

jono

25th March 2023, 21:06
11 is in Chambers as a two word expression, but it does seem to suggest that it is something worn when on a horse rather than a bike, hmm
54 of 69  -   Report This Post

aicram

25th March 2023, 22:11
I found this puzzle hard and couldn't have done it without your help - so many thanks. Like others, I didn't find the theme easy to spot.
Still have a few to finish but they'll have to wait till tomorrow. We lose an hour's sleep tonight to need to get my head down early.
55 of 69  -   Report This Post

roof

25th March 2023, 22:56
Ahhh. I got sail for the second word. Apparently it is something you can attach to a motorcycle. No wonder I couldn't see the anagram.
56 of 69  -   Report This Post

quisling

25th March 2023, 22:59
I agree, Jono. If you consider the first word as its first definition, I.e the action of the verb to ****, and then look at the first definition of that, I think it might technically just about be okay. But the conventional use in speech would be equestrian, and most of the derived phrases are just that. So I think Qaos’s use is quite a stretch. If he was thinking of “Mamils” (Middle Aged Men In Lycra), I don’t think that what the definition means
57 of 69  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th March 2023, 03:32
Wow...

In Qaos's defense re. 11, I Googled the character string "motorcycle [solution to 11]"

I got a whole bunch of major vendor hits, for just one example

https://tinyurl.com/mu6ekbuj [tinyurl to avoid spoiler]

So it appears that the term 11 is in common parlance with the understanding that "bike"=motorcycle.

Thus IMO the clue is fine.

58 of 69  -   Report This Post

rocky7

26th March 2023, 08:41
Like many others I didn't find this as easy as some. Started first thing Saturday morning ground to a halt 50% finished and went out for most of the day. Hence finishing Sunday morning. I just didn't know some of the clue references and I missed the 4,6 reference in 1d for ages despite having filled in the answer. I also don't get the base reference in 26d. I've never come across that usage in crosswords before that I can remember.

There were however some nice clues. I think despite my total blindness on it 1d would be my favourite.
59 of 69  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th March 2023, 09:32
Rocky, regarding the base, here's a somewhat recent Guardian Prize (Picaroon) - see 1 down. Also a mathematical theme, fwiw. ;-)

[Semi spoiler alert]

https://www.fifteensquared.net/2021/09/25/guardian-prize-28554-by-picaroon/
60 of 69  -   Report This Post