CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

18th March 2023, 17:45
Hi again Roof
So how many lines does a sonnet have?
btw the answer to 6d isn't in English.
31 of 48  -   Report This Post

rocky7

18th March 2023, 17:53
I never knew they had a specific number of lines. I never studied them. That number gives you one of the letters.
32 of 48  -   Report This Post

roof

18th March 2023, 19:07
Thanks Rocky and Chrise

Well I must have had a rush to the brain, I've finished all bar two. Thanks for your hints. It was Rocky's hint for 1ac that set me going again.

I can't parse the answer I have for 3d, though I have an idea of the answer, but I cannot see the force or what London has to do with it. I haven't even got an idea for 23d. I have S?M?E and cannot see where the Department store comes in regularly or not. Is it French? Ah, I see it now.

I am not happy with the clue for 10ac. I'm sure I have it right, but I don't like the first two letters. I'm not sure about 11ac either.

My FOI 12ac(?) or 10d, LOI 23d or 3D (?) and COD 26ac and 23ac

I've time to do my sewing now before my husband serves up dinner.
33 of 48  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th March 2023, 19:17
Hi Roof,

23d - The definition is "department" (yes, it's French) and it is a 3 letter "store regularly" with 2 "invests millions".

3d - think 'law and order' for the "force in London" which is 3,3 with the last letter missing/"a lot of"

Enjoy your sewing:-)
34 of 48  -   Report This Post

chrise

18th March 2023, 19:25
I agree about the first 2 letters of 10a - just doesn't work with the next 4.
35 of 48  -   Report This Post

minno

19th March 2023, 00:20
Just to chip in as invited by Brendan. I found this an oblique puzzle which pleased because it was not immediately solvable by any one strategy or mind. 4 and 9 down and 13 across combined my favourites and last to solve.
36 of 48  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th March 2023, 00:31
Thanks Minno and I agree with your assessment.

13a - that short word for "hurry" doesn't often appear outside of barred puzzles so I was pleased to see it make an appearance.

4d - having grown up in Essex and then moving to East London I'm very familiar with the IMO hackneyed cliché that is the 'dropped ?'

9d - I loved that word for "gripping" in the clue:-)
37 of 48  -   Report This Post

dhope

19th March 2023, 07:00
Finished but didn’t find it easy or particularly enjoyable, wasn’t helped by being in Australia with temperature 34 and my air con acting silly! Thanks to forum for hints and comments always interesting.
38 of 48  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

19th March 2023, 10:34
Morning, I hope someone is still here! Left hand side has me stumped this week which is annoying as I enjoyed the rest. I cannot see the anagram in 8d at all. Am I looking for a still or something oldfashioned? I don't have many of the crossers... just not seeing them. Not at my best.

Thanks
39 of 48  -   Report This Post

luko

19th March 2023, 11:09
Havemonkey, you are looking for an old fashioned still but not one to produce alcohol - I struggled with this one for ages till the penny dropped
I found this a stretch and I’m struggling with three that have not been mentioned. Any hints for 15d appreciated, which I hope will point me to 18a and 24a
COD 19a (so far), a laugh-out-loud moment
40 of 48  -   Report This Post