CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

todorovia

11th March 2023, 09:17
There is a recording of this poem by the author himself. In it, he uses the words used by Qaos and later versions. Even if the first publication has the words the author wished to use, it only shows that he is happy with either version. Personally I prefer the 'recorded' version - having two of the same word in that line is too 'heavy' for me.
31 of 34  -   Report This Post

jono

11th March 2023, 09:36
Thanks Todorovia, that’s interesting about the recording. On reflection I agree with you
32 of 34  -   Report This Post

jif73

23rd March 2023, 12:33
I filled over half the grid at the start of the month then got stuck and put it aside.
Returning to it (in the wee small hours of this morning), as always seems the case, I saw the solution to 14ac immediately which then gave me 15dn.
I spent a long time trying to work out the anagram fodder hidden by the three asterisks, with a few red herrings, but finally found the correct combination in the Wikipedia entry for the poem.
As is customary for me, I initially didn't look further than the image of the original published version, so I was a little perplexed by 7dn. I assume that the Harper's typesetter made an error by repeating a word in the last sentence, and that the version used here is the correct one.
Hats off to Qaos for a refreshing approach to clueing.
33 of 34  -   Report This Post

jono

27th March 2023, 08:33
Reported
34 of 34  -   Report This Post