CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tegumen

9th March 2023, 09:58
Apologies Jono! I meant to thank you for the 24d hint and Luftmensch for the advice.
21 of 34  -   Report This Post

jono

9th March 2023, 10:03
You’re welcome Tegumen, if you figure out 11a let me know, I’m sure I parsed it at the time but I’m not seeing it now.
22 of 34  -   Report This Post

tegumen

9th March 2023, 10:42
Jono, I think I've nailed the parsing and it might jog your mind! I have it as the rubbish element going backwards around a typical contraction for the fifth word, plus the first asterisked word identifying the correct sixth letter in the answer. Sorry if I'm being oblique but also sorry if I've given away too much to anyone who hasn't solved this one but I've been on the wrack with this one. Whole puzzle done now and I'm happy with all my answers. Again, what an enjoyable, innovative and brilliant crossword. Chapeau Qaos!
23 of 34  -   Report This Post

jono

9th March 2023, 10:49
Ah yes, that’s it, thanks!
24 of 34  -   Report This Post

tegumen

9th March 2023, 10:51
A pleasure! I don't post often on this forum and can't recall the last time I was the supplier of assistance, rather than the humble and grateful recipient of wisdom and illumination.
25 of 34  -   Report This Post

brendan

10th March 2023, 08:33
Before I file this one away, can I get some clarity on ...

3d - It's raised in class when * * * * * * the answer in writing (4)

Given the 2 crossing letters I'm assuming the answer is what a pupil might raise in class alert the teacher they want to answer a question - but how is it parsed and why "in writing"?
26 of 34  -   Report This Post

jono

10th March 2023, 08:54
Hi Brendan, I took this as a double definition, “writing” being the second one
27 of 34  -   Report This Post

brendan

10th March 2023, 08:59
Many thanks Jono, I'm sure you're right - Chambers gives it as "a style of writing" but, needless to say, I only checked this after the fact! 🤬
28 of 34  -   Report This Post

andyknott

11th March 2023, 07:47
An enjoyable solve. My only issue was with the second asterisk in 7 - online versions of the poem have two possibilities for this word: a longer, correct (according to the Wikipedia image) one; and a shorter one which seems to have been used by Qaos.
29 of 34  -   Report This Post

jono

11th March 2023, 08:53
I noticed that too, Andy. The Wikipedia page has an image of the first publication of the poem which has the “wrong” (for our purposes) word, why it has been changed in later versions is a mystery to me, I prefer the original!
30 of 34  -   Report This Post