CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

micky

14th January 2023, 17:41
I found this very easy by Guardian prize standards, but with enough challenge to make it enjoyable. Interesting to see others saying they found it difficult; clearly different minds are suited to different styles. FOI 1a, which I got within seconds of starting to look at the puzzle. LOI 15a, which I still can't fully parse. Any help? Does "either" do double service in two parts of the clue? If it does, then unless I'm missing something it seems to me like a poor clue, so if anyone can point me to a better reading I will be very grateful. I wasn't totally happy about 27a, not because, as someone else has said, because the word is a "mistake", because whatever its origin it is now an English word, but because calling the food (not the word) "Anglo-Irish" isn't right, IMO. I think I'll settle for 25 as my COD, though a couple of others were close.
31 of 52  -   Report This Post

micky

14th January 2023, 17:44
OK, within seconds of posting my last message I got the parsing of 15a. Amazing how often that happens: I puzzle over something for ages, eventually give up and ask for help, and then the answer becomes blindingly obvious.
32 of 52  -   Report This Post

micky

14th January 2023, 17:47
I've just re-read my first post. I can't believe I wrote "Anglo-Irish" for "Anglo-Italian". Maybe I didn't: perhaps it was a stupid auto-completion which I didn't notice.
33 of 52  -   Report This Post

roof

14th January 2023, 19:09
Thanks geeker @23 for trying to help me. I've managed to do quite a few more, but still have lots to solve, especially on the left side. Despite your hint Geeker, I still haven't got 13ac. I think I may have the clergyman with a stutter, but I've failed to solve the clue. Are my crossers right? ??A???R?T?
I'm not sure I'm going to finish. It is all in a foreign language to me. Talking of which I've assumed 12ac is a language, but can't parse it.

I'm glad you started the thread - someone has to - I'll keep at it for another hour.
34 of 52  -   Report This Post

roof

14th January 2023, 19:17
The penny has just dropped with 13d. Ugh I thought the first two words were the definition, but it is just the first word!! Back to the drawing board for the rest.
35 of 52  -   Report This Post

pauly

14th January 2023, 19:22
12 a is a form of rhetoric - parses 1,1, contemporary slang for completely. Def 1st 3 words
36 of 52  -   Report This Post

kipstewart

14th January 2023, 19:54
Finished over the course of the day, a few needed a quick Google. Can anyone help with parsing 11a and 5d? I know what they are and can see most of the clueing, but just can’t quite get there …
37 of 52  -   Report This Post

geeker

14th January 2023, 20:01
11 parses as 3, 4. The 3 is an uncommon word for "sprite", the 4 a standard crossword term for "the rich".
38 of 52  -   Report This Post

geeker

14th January 2023, 20:03
5 is funny: 3 "lousy youngster" inside 3 ("for one").
39 of 52  -   Report This Post

kipstewart

14th January 2023, 20:06
Thanks for those — I was on the right track for both. Shall have to look up that one for sprite.
40 of 52  -   Report This Post