CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rocky7

7th January 2023, 14:20
Killing time at Stansted airport but this is just not happening for me. I think if I get 1a it will probably be a typical Paul slow starter, quick finish.

I even have 16a and the second word for 20,21 but drawing many blanks just now.
21 of 63  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

7th January 2023, 17:51
Drjax and geeker, I'm with you on disliking Bronx cheer for 1d. Had to consider the clue twice.
22 of 63  -   Report This Post

freddycat

7th January 2023, 17:57
You're right, that's the Webster's online dictionary definition, Paul seems to be using the phrase to represent another equally disparaging noise.
23 of 63  -   Report This Post

roof

7th January 2023, 18:15
Started late and not doing very well. I'm not sure what the theme is, though I've got 20,21 and 9ac. I've still to get 1ac and 1d. I've never heard of a Bronx cheer before. Finding some clues easy, but others have stymied me. But I've had a lot of interruptions, especially from Oscar, my cat. He's very voluble these days and I've no idea what he wants.

I could do with some hints to get me going. How about 5d for which I have ??T???R?? and 14d for which I only have ???? I? ???

11ac has me stymied. I can think of a toy that would fit my crossers, but can't see the word play.

Time for some wine

I'll be back
24 of 63  -   Report This Post

philo

7th January 2023, 18:21
Phew! I took an age to get going, then 14d and 16a got me moving, then stop and start. I've enjoyed it but am stuck in the SE corner.
Can anyone give me a tip for 18d, please, I have E-H----. Also 27a, I have D then E from 20d.
And Chris, I use uBlock and have no gaps, if that helps.
Happy New Year all.
25 of 63  -   Report This Post

geeker

7th January 2023, 18:25
18d parses as 4,1,2. Hint: St. Paul.
26 of 63  -   Report This Post

geeker

7th January 2023, 18:27
27: Defn. "find", parses as 5, 4.
27 of 63  -   Report This Post

chrise

7th January 2023, 18:27
Roof
All your letters are right. The water in 11 is what we have been having a lot of recently. 5d was my LOI - it just means a four-letter word. 14d is a song that would be difficult if you haven't heard it, but it is an anagram.
28 of 63  -   Report This Post

philo

7th January 2023, 18:40
Thank Geeker. My biblical knowledge is woeful.
29 of 63  -   Report This Post

sealionsteve

7th January 2023, 19:12
Freddycat, I had a wrong answer to 1d at first. I knew "Bronx cheer" as blowing a raspberry and, incorrectly assuming that it could also mean what that was an impression of, I just looked up 5-letter drinks beginning with "B" - the only crosser I had at that time. Had never heard of the rum-based concoction called Bumbo, but it seemed a suitably Paul-style answer! More so if the end of the clue had been "..by the look of it." 😉
30 of 63  -   Report This Post