CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lastclue

3rd January 2023, 11:43
Thanks Buzzybee. Yes - that's my specific example too. And that those 7Ds are also related would be a good rationale
21 of 44  -   Report This Post

simond9x

3rd January 2023, 11:47
I agree with you, BuzzyBee, re 7d. As with others, I have 17 clues where letters are ignored but I can't be bothered going back and checking them all. I was held up for a while by the most southerly themed entry in the grid where I had a different, but perfectly plausible, wordplay for the clue which meant that the first letter of the themed entry in the grid was not one of the letters being ignored. I was irritated that the setter could have made such a careless error until I went back later and realised that there was another way of interpreting the clue.
22 of 44  -   Report This Post

pendragon

3rd January 2023, 12:38
I have found this terribly arbitrary. If my assumptions are correct, most of the eight words relate to the theme, but in so many different ways. That doesn't matter too much as one has the redundant letters, except for 19A, where my word is a homophone for a letter, if it's correct. But it could also be a number. 20A is a bit of a guess, (a Kwik response?), but 7D could be anything. For the first part do I go with a squash player or a genuine type of the theme, and for the second is that a genuine example (of a tree?). Pah!
23 of 44  -   Report This Post

simond9x

3rd January 2023, 13:06
There should be no doubts that all eight relate to the theme (you may need Google though). Sounds as though your first guess for 19a is correct but, again, the theme should confirm that for you. Your guesses for both parts of 7d are wrong. Both parts are a pair of theme words.
24 of 44  -   Report This Post

pendragon

3rd January 2023, 13:44
Thanks. I have found two theme words that fit 19A, as I say a homophobe for a letter and a number. And there are so many small examples for the theme words, almost anything might fit,
25 of 44  -   Report This Post

simond9x

3rd January 2023, 14:12
I fear that you're still missing something. Your first guess for 19a is correct but the overall grid entry should leave you in no doubt about it. Hard to say more without being too explicit. Hope you've now got 7d which, as I say, are a pair, thematically related.
26 of 44  -   Report This Post

prospero

3rd January 2023, 14:48
only started this a while ago and I have 7d (I believe) and five of the eight themed. But stuck on 27 - and in the middle of my list I have something that seems to be TPOITLOV !
27 of 44  -   Report This Post

pendragon

3rd January 2023, 15:14
I had the theme wrong. OK now. Thanks.
28 of 44  -   Report This Post

pendragon

3rd January 2023, 15:16
Prospero, the words appear when you look at the the grid. They are not in numerical order.
29 of 44  -   Report This Post

prospero

3rd January 2023, 15:33
I have 27 now - though the theme word it gives me (which should be the 7th) doesn't fit with what I believe the theme to be. Pendragon, I am reading the letters in the grid as if they were in a book - assume that's what you mean ...
30 of 44  -   Report This Post