CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

26th December 2022, 23:31
Hi Brendan

Glad you could join us. I was only able to tackle a few Saturday and yesterday (too busy cooking and eating), but did the rest in a few sessions over today. I finished early this evening after today's guests left. I was really put off this crossword with the need to constantly cross refer. The words in the preface didn't tell us the length, so I had to find them in the grid (which wasn't easy) and count the letters by which time I'd lost the clue! I found I was all over the place until I wrote down all the special clues in a table to which I could cross refer.

I had trouble with a few and don't understand the discussion here on 34ac. It is obviously a "U". There were a couple of words I'd never heard of, but I got the Bells early on. I think my FOI was 57ac and my LOI was 85ac. My favourite was 36ac - never heard of it before.

I look forward to something more sane next week.

91 of 154  -   Report This Post

roof

26th December 2022, 23:33
I should have said that I do the crossword in the newspaper and it was didfficult seeing the numbers on newsprint.
92 of 154  -   Report This Post

feebee

26th December 2022, 23:38
Thanks Brendan.
Once I realised I’d got the wrong girl in at 15 the angel became clear.

All done now, the drink did indeed sort everything out, I was trying to find a kind of tea which just wasn’t working!

Lots of new general knowledge, and a few new words, for me. It’s kept me entertained through a rather strange Xmas - husband has flu really quite badly. But he seems to have turned the corner tonight. 🤞
93 of 154  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th December 2022, 23:42
Thanks Feebee, and I hope your husband has got over his flu:-)
94 of 154  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th December 2022, 23:46
Hi Roof,

I'm another who constantly lost track of the numbers for themed clues, I wish I'd followed your lead and wrote them in a separate list.

Happy New Year and we look forward to seeing you next week:-)
95 of 154  -   Report This Post

jono

27th December 2022, 06:29
Might be too late for most now, but there’s a helpful list of the themed clues in number order that someone has kindly posted here…

https://www.fifteensquared.net/general-discussion/
96 of 154  -   Report This Post

hywel

27th December 2022, 09:20
Hello all
I want to buy a crossword compiling app. Could any of you experienced setters or solvers recommend the best one for UK English and cryptic clue compiling?
Thanks
Hywel
97 of 154  -   Report This Post

jono

27th December 2022, 10:22
Hi Hywel, Crossword Compiler is the industry standard. It has a subscription model and requires Windows, but you can download a trial I believe.
There are other options out there but I can’t speak with experience of any of them.
98 of 154  -   Report This Post

freddycat

27th December 2022, 11:53
Great fun though needed a little help from the discussion above. Just can't figure out the two girl's names (15ac and 45d). Any hints appreciated. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year's puzzling.
99 of 154  -   Report This Post

hywel

27th December 2022, 12:56
Hello Jono

Thanks very much

100 of 154  -   Report This Post