CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

24th December 2022, 00:14
As of 00.12hrs, this week's Prize crossword is under the "Cryptic" heading on the Guardian website rather than the usual "Prize".

It's a Maskarade Xmas special but is sadly not interactive so I'll be sitting this one out.

Happy Christmas to all the the Prize blog contributors and readers and good luck with this week's puzzle - it looks a belter:-)

Stay safe:-)
1 of 154  -   Report This Post

plutocrat

24th December 2022, 03:25
Thanks for the pointer. I was looking in the Prize section of course. Equally disappointed by the PDF, as I don't have a printer, so I cobbled together a spreadsheet version, which, in the spirit of the season, I uploaded to Wormhole, in case anyone else is similarly stymied.

k0QQm#xz5-JwL0iVDoFHA0BJhU4w

I'm not allowed to post URLs, so go to wormhole dot app and paste that string at the end of the URL. What a palaver. YMMV.

Haven't started it yet. Will be back here I suspect in a day or two.
2 of 154  -   Report This Post

brendan

24th December 2022, 04:00
Many thanks Plutocrat, I use Open Office but it still works.

PS - I had to insert a forward slash between 'wormhole.app' and info hash.
3 of 154  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

24th December 2022, 05:21
Hi all and Merry Cbristmas to all contributors.
Not too tricky, but be prepared for some serious misdirection in the preamble section.
4 of 154  -   Report This Post

rocky7

24th December 2022, 06:47
Merry Christmas all and thanks for all your help in 2022. I can't even entertain this until I have bought a hard copy of the paper. I shall be dipping in and out over the next few days.

See you later.
5 of 154  -   Report This Post

tonystock

24th December 2022, 09:22
Where the heck do you start on this ? Any easy ones to get going ??? Merry Christmas everyone :-)
6 of 154  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

24th December 2022, 09:29
I normally panic at these complex jumbos and get overwhelmed but I'm being brave and tackling this methodically because I know the forum will have my back :-). I'm starting with the standard clues on the right and have a fair few in for a toehold, thank goodness. Going to concentrate on that for now before I even look at the rest!
7 of 154  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

24th December 2022, 09:52
Hi Tonystock
Try solving as many of the standard clues on the right as you can. The capitalised words in the preamble are also clues, sometimes synonyms, sometimes definitions, sometimes cryptic. As a hint, note that 14 appears twice in the preamble.
8 of 154  -   Report This Post

mikey456

24th December 2022, 10:44
I'll give this a miss.
The grid is too big to print out on a single A4 page.
9 of 154  -   Report This Post

sjg

24th December 2022, 12:08
Many thanks Plutocrat - I admire both your patience in constructing this and your generosity in sharing it!

Happy Christmas!
10 of 154  -   Report This Post