CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jack aubrey

30th November 2022, 17:52
I agree with Quisling. A small hint is that one name that looks to be a familiar foreign form is actually not. I initially fell into that trap.
31 of 37  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

30th November 2022, 20:06
That insight into the setter’s mind is much appreciated, Ifor. In this case, your choices, perhaps most clearly around the names from the misprints, were - if I may say so - masterly. And, yes, I was way out of my comfort zone and learned a great deal - even if I still don’t really understand the contribution of the last name. But I suspect that the person concerned didn’t either and wasn’t very troubled by the fact as long as the sums worked!
32 of 37  -   Report This Post

puzzledbadger

1st December 2022, 20:18
Thanks Quisling and Jack.

I can't see how to generate an O from 28a :-(
33 of 37  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st December 2022, 21:01
Hi Puzzlebadger,

26a I went with "token" instead of "taken".

I wasn't sure but Chambers thesaurus gives "token" as 'symbol, emblem' so that's the best I could come up with.
34 of 37  -   Report This Post

quisling

1st December 2022, 21:15
Spot on, Brendan:)
35 of 37  -   Report This Post

puzzledbadger

1st December 2022, 21:55
Ah, thanks Brendan. Now I just need to find two names in the grid (and the mythical creature). I've shaded the "affected" answers and I can see a symmetrical pattern, which means nothing to me.
36 of 37  -   Report This Post

quisling

1st December 2022, 22:40
Puzzledbadger, unless you’re of a particular mind you’re unlikely to spot the theme just from the pattern, unless you took the earlier hint and saw which letters are absent from the initial grid. But the three surnames should lead you to it, and this thread should give you guidance
37 of 37  -   Report This Post