CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pattie

29th August 2022, 14:34
Thanks tanglewood! Obvious when it’s pointed out and I already had the proper themed G. Doh.
111 of 134  -   Report This Post

cymro

29th August 2022, 17:21
I think I have finished but I haven’t parsed the last letter of the H nine letter theme word which seems to be an anagram plus A or E. I prefer A as the first letter of accepted. Is that Ok?
112 of 134  -   Report This Post

quisling

29th August 2022, 17:28
Cymro, a is correct. A for accepted is in Chambers, and the anagram of the other eight letters precedes it (hence thirteen changes “to start with”)
113 of 134  -   Report This Post

williamseal

29th August 2022, 17:29
My thanks to quisling of helping with the themed E. I'd been struggling for some time. Maskarade seems to me to combine quite brilliant ideas with the occasional lapse in execution. 'Out' as an anagram indicator is an example.

I cannot parse either the themed T or the non-theme R. Can anybody offer me nudge. I think I have the answers. Thanks
114 of 134  -   Report This Post

quisling

29th August 2022, 17:37
Williamseal, the themed T is a five-letter word for public about, I.e. reversed, plus an initial.

In the non-themed R, you’ll have gathered it’s an anagram, and the farthing, by inference, is the back part of an old boneshaker
115 of 134  -   Report This Post

williamseal

29th August 2022, 17:49
Many thanks (again) quisling. Both clear now
116 of 134  -   Report This Post

imogen

29th August 2022, 18:42
Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I have all in the grid, but 2 possible spellings of themed Q as I can't parse it. Should 3rd letter be E or I. Help please.

thanks
117 of 134  -   Report This Post

quisling

29th August 2022, 18:46
Welcome Imogen, I believe E. It’s Q for query, followed by a four-letter anagram (about) and then two-letter popular. First word is thematic definition
118 of 134  -   Report This Post

rocky7

29th August 2022, 18:55
Having started this thread thinking I wouldn't be able to do this, a friend gave me the hard copy paper and in some ways I wish she hadn't as I'd now be blissfully unaware. I don't really get the theme and I don't understand many of the clues even though I'm sure I have the answer. I think what finally did for me was Quisling's explanation for themed T (thank you by the way) but I'm none the wiser as it seems to describe 5 letters plus ie plus an initial when it's a six letter word. The right hand grid is complete but I think I may have to throw in the towel.

I hate being beaten but sometimes you have to know when enough is enough.

119 of 134  -   Report This Post

imogen

29th August 2022, 19:00
Thank you. It's obvious once you point it out of course. I saw beginning and end but failed to spot the anagram - duh.
Very glad I found this forum.
120 of 134  -   Report This Post