CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

smithsax

8th August 2022, 22:36
Not often I laugh out loud at a Listener PDM. Some tricky clues but I think I have it done with one niggle. I know the answer to 33 but can’t see how the wordplay works. Great puzzle Tringa.
61 of 83  -   Report This Post

numbskull

9th August 2022, 10:05
Smithsax, 33 is a double definition, a synonym for view + plural (italian) of an operatic term
62 of 83  -   Report This Post

smithsax

9th August 2022, 13:14
It was the pleural that threw me. I considered a double definition but did not know that the word in Italian is already a pleural.
Should the use of a foreign language not be indicated in the wordplay?
63 of 83  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

9th August 2022, 13:35
The plural is given in the BRB so, for this solver, it is completely fair game and there is no good reason to flag it up.
64 of 83  -   Report This Post

0pt0

9th August 2022, 16:59
Thanks to Mullingar and Quisling for the hints to 18 down.
65 of 83  -   Report This Post

quixote

10th August 2022, 12:28
Entertaining and satisfying multilayered.puzzle - must be unusual in producing not one but three PDMs - for me, anyway.

Dunno what Quisling's on - all finished by 18.05 on Friday!!!
Must be something much stronger than humbugs...

Bah!
66 of 83  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

10th August 2022, 21:41
Thought this was excellent. Been plugging away all week, thought I may be defeated this afternoon, then a breakthrough and the rest gradually fell into place. Very good indeed.
67 of 83  -   Report This Post

kitsune

11th August 2022, 08:33
Well that was good fun this week but I have three unresolved parsing issues that I need help with otherwise my OCD will not allow me to sleep tonight! I feel that I’ve been staring at them for too long and am missing something obvious.

5a “Series about a Greek character returning “. I don’t understand the Greek character. Is it a person? A letter? I have the answer and am mystified.

18a “Nitrate that’s principally found in drug “. Answer is clear from checking but the parsing is not - to me at least!

27a “Space in prime positions before hymn“. Parsing clearly suggests that the penultimate letter is “o” but I have a horrible suspicion that it may be “a” and I’m missing something…

Thank you in advance!
68 of 83  -   Report This Post

jordan

11th August 2022, 09:44
27a was a mystery to me for a long time. Apply prime numbers 2,3 and 5 to SPACE and that should be enough to sort out your difficulties with the 4th letter
69 of 83  -   Report This Post

will37

11th August 2022, 09:52
kitsune - I haven't finished this but i think 18a, of which you have the def, parses as "that's principally" (one letter) inside a 3-letter word for "a" with a single-letter drug on the end.
70 of 83  -   Report This Post