CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paradigmshifter

24th July 2022, 11:28
Hmm I have a woman's name as the answer, maybe that is wrong?
81 of 95  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

24th July 2022, 11:29
Ok I get it now. The shelter is inside a german word.
82 of 95  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

24th July 2022, 11:47
I find Picaroon's crosswords trickier than other Guardian setters, so tackled this puzzle in two goes, finishing this morning after a coffee.
Yesterday I fancied a simple gridfill with a bi t of fun thrown in, so I tried the Spectator instead
83 of 95  -   Report This Post

geeker

24th July 2022, 11:57
Jimmy, I wondered about your nickname...
I played chess as a youngster, joined some clubs but didn't play rated tournaments. Took up correspondence chess around the age of 40 and played rated events for around 10 years. Was in a local (rural) club, but that faded away due to lack of interest. I cut back because the amount of study required to keep up with opening theory became too much.
84 of 95  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

24th July 2022, 13:11
Like [b[roof, I'm also have trouble with 24A (which I suspect is not in Quick Solve (??) and also 20D. If it is in QS, then some parsing help please.
Not happy about 16D (def = nibble away?) either so if someone would please (not too cryptically!) provide some parsing assistance, that would be appreciated.
14A gets the award from me.
85 of 95  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

24th July 2022, 13:22
Sorry, I meant roof !

24A:
I've seen posts 39 and 42 so I'm pretty certain of the first 4 letters but I've never heard of this genre of literature and I'm not sure how I can find out without knowing the word. It's therefore definitely not in Quick Solve which kind of defeats the purpose QS does it not?

Perhaps 1 more hint please? Otherwise I'll wait for next Saturday.
86 of 95  -   Report This Post

chrise

24th July 2022, 13:25
try OneLook instead
https://www.onelook.com
87 of 95  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

24th July 2022, 13:27
It's not in quicksolve and it's not in Chambers online dictionary.

It's a type of book that e.g. Jackie Collins wrote.

20D is pretty straightforward, a short form of a football team followed by 2 letter about... something put on a field.

16D parses as a 3 letter "my" (as in "oh my!") + 3 letter caviar, containing a symbol for a penny (not a new penny).
88 of 95  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

24th July 2022, 13:30
Thank you, chrise. That's a good addition for my (last-resort) toolset. I guess I need to get out more!

20A help still needed
16D I'm pretty sure of but can't explain the first 3 letters.
89 of 95  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

24th July 2022, 13:33
I've given a hint for 20D (there is no 20A).

And I parsed 16D for you, think "blimey" instead of "oh my!".

Nibble away as in what happens to metal when exposed to the elements.
90 of 95  -   Report This Post