CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

26th June 2022, 07:53
Hi Lucertola,

Good to see you back:-)

14a - homophone of a 5 letter word for "wines, spirits etc" - definition is "scoffs" as in 'jeers'
21 of 48  -   Report This Post

yevrah

26th June 2022, 08:15
Thanks jono for posting 19 although I would say it should be a 1, 1, 5 answer not 2, 5. And thanks to Brendan for below on 14a. Have a good day. Can anyone guide me on getting rid of all the adverts on my app.
22 of 48  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

26th June 2022, 08:15
Jono and Yevrah, I have removed the two words as requested.

Jono, thanks for emailing me.

Yevrah, thanks for your concern. However, in future could I ask that you please email me in addition to mentioning it in the Forum, I don’t read the threads unless I am alerted to a problem. Thanks.
23 of 48  -   Report This Post

lucertola

26th June 2022, 08:27
Thanks, Brendan. It's a four letter word. Can you confirm the second letter is O? I have sadly scrolled through 130 plus words beginning with the O second and S last all to no avail. The best I could come up with is a word for very small children! It's very disappointing as I've A wonderful run for some time, hence my recent absence. All best.
L
24 of 48  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th June 2022, 08:33
Yep, the answer is 4 letters but the homophone it sounds like/'loudly', a collective noun for "wines, spirits, (beers) etc" is a 5 letter word.

When you scoff/jeer someone at a pantomime, for example, what do you do 😉
25 of 48  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th June 2022, 08:39
L, yes, the second letter is O
26 of 48  -   Report This Post

drjax

26th June 2022, 08:40
Got most of this finished in the middle of the night due to being unable to sleep with COVID-related coughing. Finally succumbed for the first time. Finished it with 14 also being my LOI lucertola. It was a PDM when it came - if it helps add to Brendan’s hints, the word for wine/spirits is very informal.
27 of 48  -   Report This Post

phil10000

26th June 2022, 09:36
Really enjoyed this, aside from 19D, which I found impossible to parse for the longest time, as I always do with this type of clue. Need to write OTAN in permanent marker on my forehead before turning in each Saturday night, I think.
Interesting to see a brand name (or two) in there - I don't recall that with this setter previously.
Talking of which, did anyone else notice 14, 15, 20, 23, 25 as a theme? Maybe Everyman had a heavy night!?
28 of 48  -   Report This Post

clarkgwent

26th June 2022, 09:39
I totally agree, having never heard this expression. It is literally misleading as they not, by definition, (second half of clue)
29 of 48  -   Report This Post

chrise

26th June 2022, 09:49
Assuming I've got the right answer, I can't parse 18d. Any pointers?
Also the wordplay for the second word in 15d doesn't seem to work.
30 of 48  -   Report This Post