CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

26th June 2022, 00:47
Another in the long run of first-rate Everyman puzzles we've been having lately.

I didn't notice any theme but, there again, I never do so take that with a pinch of salt!

The only clues I had trouble with were 16a where I didn't know the Princess and 9a where I didn't know the first word could mean "ornate".

Other than that, all the usual Everyman suspects with lots of anagrams, hiddens, initial letters etc.

COD - I liked 3d and 23a but I think I'll go for 16a with the Princess exited about her dessert:-)

Thanks to Everyman for an enjoyable puzzle.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 48  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th June 2022, 00:54
Sorry, I meant I didn't notice any rhyming pairs or the like but did spot some alliteration.
2 of 48  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th June 2022, 01:07
Brendan,

16 was also my COD. Thought 23, 1d, 20, 20, 23 and 9 were good as well. Didn't notice a theme either. FOI 2. LOI 14, not because it was hard but I simply skipped over it; thought the grid was complete but review showed two empty boxes. 😀

Thanks to Everyman, good puzzle, I didn't like it quite as much as last week's, but that one was exceptional. A bit harder than the norm, perhaps.

Hints to get started: two long across anagrams, plus hiddens in both across and down.

Only quibble is 19, which doesn't seem very cryptic, but I'm likely missing something.
3 of 48  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th June 2022, 01:09
OK, I get 19 now. Didn't know (and am a bit surprised) it's in the reference set.
4 of 48  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th June 2022, 01:16
Hi Geeker,

Yes, 16a was a bit of a surprise, but a welcome one although, that said, maybe others are more familiar with these Greek references that me - philistine that I am:-)

19d - We used to have a TV advert over here for the Renault Clio that has one person saying Papa and then the other would reply Nicole and, for the longest time, that was all I could think of 😂
5 of 48  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th June 2022, 01:20
Forgot to mention, I didn't see a rhyming pair either. But there's a funny pair of clues "Prince and princess", so to speak. 😀
6 of 48  -   Report This Post

ohcelt

26th June 2022, 01:22
As an academic, I didn't care much for 1a. Those disciplines are not the ………. …….., they the humanities, which makes for a very misleading clue. Other than that, quite fun.

Edited by Admin to remove 2 words as I am informed they provide an answer.
7 of 48  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th June 2022, 01:25
Ah, well spotted:-)

I still think his half-time performance at the Super Bowl was the best of them all - and it poured down:-)
8 of 48  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th June 2022, 01:29
OHcelt, that's what I initially thought, and was about to post, but it's really a devious red herring! When I counted letters, I realized that "English" is part of the anagrist, not the definition.
9 of 48  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th June 2022, 01:32
But you are correct in that I never considered History such a subject either. Don't own Chambers so can't consult the oracle.
10 of 48  -   Report This Post