CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cockie

4th June 2022, 08:49
Well let's see if this works.

Nice Phi-style clues with a fairly straightforward grid-fill. Most of the double clues are quick, but they have to be as there's no checking to help. Still have 2 to do. But that's where the brick wall appeared. If the answers to the double clues are jumbles (which implies that they are strings of letters; if they were words surely "anagrams" rather than "jumbles"?) then I've got to find some very unlikely letters in the 2 I haven't got yet So the preamble is hiding something from me. Struggle on (a bit like the England bowlers). At least Phi will be pleased.
1 of 56  -   Report This Post

buzzb

4th June 2022, 17:07
cockie - The preamble doesn't say that the entries are jumbles of the answers; the answers are the jumbles.
2 of 56  -   Report This Post

cockie

4th June 2022, 22:49
Yes - the effluxion of time has caused scales to fall from my eyes.
3 of 56  -   Report This Post

dsc

5th June 2022, 09:33
Am I in some parallel universe - Sunday morning and only 4 posts?!

Solved all I can and not a scooby what's going on. Is there anyone out there to give me a nudge?
4 of 56  -   Report This Post

lumen

5th June 2022, 10:02
I'm only just about to start this, sorry dsc.
There is a problem with logging in for most people it seems. I can only log in on my PC, not my phone or gadget.
5 of 56  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

6th June 2022, 09:06
Looks like problem fixed, good work techies.

I thought this was very good. Clever idea, nicely tricky, unusual structure, good clues, no stupid grid stare. Top marks from me.

Can't figure out 6d but don't need it to finish puzzle. Have a well known French painter that fits but can't see the wordplay at all if that's right. Any hints on the wordplay welcome.

6 of 56  -   Report This Post

kirky

6th June 2022, 09:17
enc for enclosure ...the other 4 letters inside reversed are a headland
7 of 56  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

6th June 2022, 09:21
Really enjoyed this one. I feel as though I found it more difficult than I should have, given so many of the clues were "normal" (in the sense that you can solve them directly from the page and, at least mostly, put them into the grid), but it still took me quite a while with my neophyte Listener skills.

I have everything complete, there are just two clues I still don't understand: 16d and 30d. With 16d, to my reading you could remove three of the words and be left with very clean wordplay that resolves to the answer, which must mean I'm missing something. For 30d the definition is seemingly clear but no clue on the wordplay. Nudges very much welcome.

Smellyharry: This is a simple abbreviation, which contains a geographical term, with a reversal.
8 of 56  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

6th June 2022, 09:33
Thanks Kirky.

Chris - 30d is double def - look up the answer in Chambers with a dot after it.

16d - you could get rid of 3 words yes, but the first helps you narrow down the options and the other two tell you it's a shortened version of a longer word.
9 of 56  -   Report This Post

lumen

6th June 2022, 09:45
Spent most of yesterday on this but not finished. Can I have help with 11a?
And at NE corner I have lots of gaps, so tips for 7d and 18a would also be very kind.
PS I still can't log in from my phone, but it's nice to see some posts coming in!
10 of 56  -   Report This Post