CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lumen

6th June 2022, 19:56
My last non-thematic to solve is the Peter Sellars one at 12d.
If someone can help with that? Tricky as I only have the last letter. And the four letter word associated with that actor doesn’t fit with it!
Then I can maybe crack the endgame. I’ve come the conclusion the answers to the double clues don’t go in the grid in any way. Too many Gs for one thing!
41 of 56  -   Report This Post

lumen

6th June 2022, 20:05
Just cracked Peter!
42 of 56  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th June 2022, 20:06
Hi Lumen,

12d - the key word is "originally" (used like it often is in cryptics) - definition is "peter" (slang meaning)
43 of 56  -   Report This Post

jif73

7th June 2022, 00:25
Lumen,
Cracked Peter! I geddit!!
44 of 56  -   Report This Post

piffleworthy

7th June 2022, 10:26
Great puzzle, and a nice challenge. I am only stuck on 34ac. The surface reading indicates a singular answer for the definition but the wordplay suggests a plural.

Am I reading this wrongly? I get the (printing) nut, but the rest of the clue seems to me to be ambiguous.

Thank you for any hint!
45 of 56  -   Report This Post

piffleworthy

7th June 2022, 10:35
....got it... 'A lot of...'

D'oh!
46 of 56  -   Report This Post

buzzb

8th June 2022, 01:29
It’s sad to see that the theme is completely revealed on another site and even one of the the seven unclued words is given. So much for respecting the integrity of the Listener solver's contest...

Post amended by Admin
47 of 56  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

8th June 2022, 17:34
The Crossword Forum does not advertise other sites on its threads, I have therefore removed all reference to an alternative Listener site.

Thank you for your co-operation in this matter.
48 of 56  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

8th June 2022, 21:55
Apropos of nothing, I wanted to express my admiration for 32ac, one of my absolute favourite clues in recent memory—a very clever usage of a classic cryptic chestnut. Well done Phi for that one.
49 of 56  -   Report This Post

malone

8th June 2022, 22:13
Chrisremo, I too thought that clue was great - really clever, crafty.
50 of 56  -   Report This Post