CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sircrispin

2nd May 2022, 09:54
All done, but not dusted. I'm unhappy with 25 across. 'Paste' seems to be the misplaced def for 6 across, where I have a Japanese variety. But that leaves 'Dwarf' as an unlikely anagram indicator... Maybe my 6 across is wrong.
1 of 45  -   Report This Post

mattrom

2nd May 2022, 10:31
I have the same answer for 6a, Sircrispin.
I'm unable to parse the original answer for 22a. I have the grid entry and the definitions.
2 of 45  -   Report This Post

sircrispin

2nd May 2022, 10:38
Thanks mattrom. It's reassuring to know I'm not alone.

22 is anagram of the final letters indicated, which produces a colloquial word for upset, which then has first two letters subbed.
3 of 45  -   Report This Post

mattrom

2nd May 2022, 10:44
Ah, thanks! I'd overlooked the 'of'.
4 of 45  -   Report This Post

sircrispin

2nd May 2022, 10:50
Easily done - there seemed to be a redundant 'of' in 16ac...
5 of 45  -   Report This Post

sircrispin

2nd May 2022, 11:16
Aah... I just double-checked and the online version of 25ac is "Batter made into paste", so all good.

If the print version is edited this thread will make no sense to anyone. So just to clarify, the original print version has "dwarf made into paste", which I suspect was the unadulterated forerunner clue before the special instructions were applied, as it has the definition in the right place.
6 of 45  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

2nd May 2022, 12:29
Thanks for that Sircrispin. I had downloaded the original online version as soon as it appeared (I am in NZ) and struggled with 25a and its misplaced definition. I eventually just shrugged my shoulders and entered what seemed to work, despite being unhappy with the parsing.
7 of 45  -   Report This Post

simond9x

2nd May 2022, 17:52
Just to join the club, I had exactly the same issue with 25a so thanks for the clarification. Very enjoyable. It seemed to get a little trickier as the grid filled up.
8 of 45  -   Report This Post

simond9x

2nd May 2022, 17:55
It also took me a while to understand why my answer to 7d was correct. I kept looking at it and wondering. It's not often a crossword makes me laugh out loud!
9 of 45  -   Report This Post

simond9x

2nd May 2022, 17:56
There's also a solution that I'd never come across until Saturday's Listener. Quite a coincidence.
10 of 45  -   Report This Post