CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

daw

3rd May 2022, 19:29
Thanks gentlefolk for prods of 7 concerning Brummie pronunciation; not being familiar with local variations in speech, I accept that the synonym for witchcraft could be articulated thus. On checking, I located an error in 6 (due to subsequently corrected clue word ‘dwarf’) so the first letter wasn’t T as I reported. Quite complicated, this one.
31 of 45  -   Report This Post

jif73

3rd May 2022, 23:44
barretter, your post @27 seems to explain everything in 21ac ... except for the last three words which was the bit that I needed help with!
I can see how these three words look as if they should be a definition to the amended entry 12ac but the last of these three words is sufficient for this purpose, leaving the other two words redundant.
What am I missing?
32 of 45  -   Report This Post

barretter

4th May 2022, 01:11
Ah, I thought you were looking for hints for the solution for 21a. I have no explanation for "drive with".
33 of 45  -   Report This Post

drxx

4th May 2022, 09:32
'test-drive' hyphenated would fix it I think.
34 of 45  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

4th May 2022, 12:44
For what it’s worth, I thought “drive with examiner” was a double definition of 12a. See meaning 5 in Chambers.
35 of 45  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

4th May 2022, 12:53
I would agree that if is a DD it is probably an unnecessary complication, but the lure of that surface reading must have been strong!

Overall, though, I enjoyed this a lot.
36 of 45  -   Report This Post

jif73

4th May 2022, 12:59
That would be better, drxx, if 'test-drive' were a noun. Chambers has it as a verb – and a transitive one to boot. So it would not work grammatically and would still leave 'with' as a redundant word.
It seems that the surface reading is meant to convey the idea of a driving test so a better wording would have been 'In Jeep I do test for examiner' where 'for' can be be interpreted to mean 'in order to obtain (a word meaning) examiner'.
37 of 45  -   Report This Post

drxx

4th May 2022, 13:33
I thought it was either/or regarding the hyphen but you're right, jif73 - it's quite specific.
I think your version of the clue is better (although 'with' as a link word didn't bother me too much).
38 of 45  -   Report This Post

alstumped

11th May 2022, 12:16
Re 26 (above):
My reco!!ection is of a short-lived sitcom. NH seated in parlour clad in flamboyant neckwear. Young nephew, "Nice kipper tie Noddy!". NH, "Mmm. Yes please. Milk and two sugars in mine."
39 of 45  -   Report This Post

hkwstuck

22nd May 2022, 12:36
Hi this took me quite a while to get through but I think I am almost done.!I have an answer for 14down but I can't parse it.Any hints would be appreciated.
40 of 45  -   Report This Post