CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

17th April 2022, 18:42
Hi noeyedeer

I've collaborated with my friend in Sheffield and we've filled in a lot, but still have a sugnificant number of gaps, Including 21ac, 33d, 34ac, 40ac and 60d. I also haven't got 5 and 6d. My biggest concern is that I have some two letter themes repeated. Should I have?

I did find time to prune the lower half of my fuchsia, but when my back started hurting it was time to come in for some tea and simnel cake.

Yes Brendan, it is perfectly edible. I cut the burnt top off and decorated the top. In fact it is delicious - I can taste the brandy and rum that went in (250ml).
71 of 150  -   Report This Post

jono

17th April 2022, 19:01
Hi Roof,
They are definitely not repeated. I found it useful (essential even) to look at a map, as their positions relative to each other in the grid are broadly accurate ;-)
72 of 150  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2022, 19:12
Sounds yummy Roof 😛

21a - This is a homophone a word the Australians use to describe something that is "smashing" but the "isle" in in Scotland - thematic pair are last 2 letters.

34a - I didn't really of this guy as poet but more a writer of fables - 2 letter "river" )a specific one) and 3 letter "waters" both reversed/ebbing

40a - Straight anagram

60d - See mine and Jono's @27 and @28
73 of 150  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2022, 19:25
33d - Double definition of both an "earthenware dish" and a "rich brown spicy sauce" made from vinegar, wine, tarragon, brown sauce and a dash of Tabasco! Thematic pair are the 2nd and 3rd letters.
74 of 150  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2022, 19:30
Sincere apologies Roof,

40a - Is not an anagram - it's a word meaning "inlay" and can also go aver "silver" in a common saying.
75 of 150  -   Report This Post

rocky7

17th April 2022, 19:31
Think this may beat me. Genuinely don't understand 15a.
60d I have no idea how to even approach the clue to deconstruct it let alone add two letters. I'm well short in the SW corner and stuck for some time now. 22a also leaving me bemused.
76 of 150  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2022, 19:33
..... and sorry for all the typos in my previous few replies - I'm watching the Paper Tiger comedy special of Bill Burr and, if there is one thing I've learnt about myself, it's that I cannot multi-task!
77 of 150  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th April 2022, 19:41
Hi Rocky,

I wouldn't be too disillusioned, I felt the same way several times but, bit by bit, I eventually got there:-)

15a - This was my least favourite clue - the answer is what cats have and what you cut when you shave with a cut-throat razor, although describing it as a "victim" is a stretch too far IMHO

60d - This is the Spanish name - see mine and Jono's @27 and @28

22a - the "Barber" is a composer and the answer is a specific work by him - 2 letter "present (an acronym) + an unusual word meaning "commission" on currency exchanges.
78 of 150  -   Report This Post

rocky7

17th April 2022, 19:54
Hi Brendan. Clearly my 2d is wrong then because I had E as the third letter not I. Explains a lot. Thanks for the hints.
79 of 150  -   Report This Post

roof

17th April 2022, 19:59
Hi Brendan and Rocky7

Samuel Barber is one of my favourite composers, especially the piece referred to here. But I had trouble parsing it.

I couldn't see the victim in 15ac

Time to look again at Brendan's hints.
80 of 150  -   Report This Post