CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

18th April 2022, 07:59
That's okay, baby steps and all, we'll make a convert of you yet:-)

I loved the EV, it was such a great touch to have the extra letters spell out where to find another instruction. I even did the colouring to match the pl...... - I just couldn't help myself šŸ˜›
101 of 150  -   Report This Post

williamseal

18th April 2022, 09:07
Greetings from an overcrowded sandbank - we are full of holiday makers here in Norfolk.

I'd like to go back to 78 across and wonder if Brendan or others can help.

It is down as a four letter solution which means that a two letter thematic abbreviation is required. Unless you include some islands (which don't fit anyway) I've run out of geographical neighbours. 50 down surely refers to Art Blakey's Messengers - my favourite band.

I have the four letter Scottish word and an abbreviation for down under. Am I missing something?
102 of 150  -   Report This Post

mattrom

18th April 2022, 09:21
Williamseal,
78a. is a double definition. I couldn't see the Au reference in Chambers, but it is in Collins. It doesn't include an abbreviation for down under.
103 of 150  -   Report This Post

williamseal

18th April 2022, 09:27
Thanks Mattrom

104 of 150  -   Report This Post

rocketman

18th April 2022, 10:23
Maskarade has kept a lot of us on our toes this weekend, but, all in all, it's been an enjoyable slog! Others have mentioned the fact that 8 Down maybe incorrect as regards the number of letters in the answer, so I presume this should read as (5) and not (4)?. So haven't yet solved this one, and also two offshoots, 7 Across and 19 Across - could 19 possibly be the German word referred in the text? Also I haven't yet landed 26 Across and 27 Down. 33 Down has been mentioned a few times, but I still haven't solved this one - could the themed letters possibly be "UT"? 23 Down seems likely to be the name of a US singer and city if my themed addition is correct? And, finally, is 48 Down a word meaning "to stick"? - I haven't fully understood the clue for this one yet.
105 of 150  -   Report This Post

feebee

18th April 2022, 10:31
Hi Rocketman

26a I googled to find a Māori word that also happens to be theme pair but isnā€™t included elsewhere.

33d yes UT

23d yes

48d yes to stick. The 4 letter word means to wrap up a body - one of the new words I learnt this week!
106 of 150  -   Report This Post

feebee

18th April 2022, 10:37
What a monster.
Thank you for all your help.
Iā€™m nearly done, quite a few I canā€™t parse but need to get on with things now.

Wish Iā€™d printed the map at the beginning- I wasnā€™t systematic enough keeping track of the pairs.

Also wish Iā€™d kept track of the French words.

Brendan - 5d is a 4 letter French word for a place a cat might sit - Google translate helped with that.

Iā€™ve got two left I just canā€™t crack.

63d I have _O_S_N which seems to lead to a word in the clue?

76a I have O_A_N_E is it a French word?

Put me out if my misery. šŸ˜Š
107 of 150  -   Report This Post

rocketman

18th April 2022, 10:52
Thanks, Feebee, this helps with some of them. Problem I have with 48 Down is that I have already used the first two letters (also at the start) of 29 Down .Your query about 63 Down produces a homophone for a word that sounds like a word for poison. And, with regard to 76 Across, your fifth letter "N" is wrong and should be an "I".
108 of 150  -   Report This Post

feebee

18th April 2022, 11:01
I think the German word is 37a

19a I have a word for a Muslim festival but I canā€™t see how that relates to Passover?
109 of 150  -   Report This Post

feebee

18th April 2022, 11:05
In 48d the pair is the 2nd and 3rd letter.
110 of 150  -   Report This Post