CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

16th April 2022, 05:51
Wow! What an absolute beast of a puzzle from Maskarade to celebrate this sunny Bank Holiday.

Let me say straight off the bat that I haven't finished yet, I still have a few left to do but I've reached the 'going round in circles' stage so am hoping that, after a few hours sleep and hearty breakfast, I'll have some much needed inspiration.

After reading the "Special Instructions" my first thought was "chemistry" but, after playing around with some of the themed clues, that was quickly abandoned and I realised what was going on.

If you do get stuck there are at least two long anagrams in the acrosses and at least one in the downs..

My way in to the theme was via 10d - the unadjusted answer is fairly obvious and then there are only a very limited number of pairs of letters that can be added while still keeping a proper word - the same is true with 66d. This will then give you two pairs of letters which will, hopefully, ring a bell and then, when you check to see they are "correctly positioned", you'll get all the other options.

My outstanding clues are 1a, 15a and 21a in the top left along with 69a and 78 in the bottom left. There are also a few where I'm not sure of the parsing but, like I said, after a good rest I'll hopefully have some much needed PDM's.

COD - I'm going with 29d "Pair casing the sweater girl's flat" - I had to Google why she was the "sweater girl" but it did make me smile.

If you find this as difficult as me please don't hesitate to ask for a hint - I know I always say it, but there really are so many helpful people on here willing to help.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 150  -   Report This Post

jono

16th April 2022, 06:05
Hi Brendan, enjoying so far, but still a long way to go. I found the gimmick revealed itself fairly readily, but admit to using an image from Google to confirm the relative positionings. Do you agree, the enumeration in the clue for 8d should be (5) and not (4) as shown?
2 of 150  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th April 2022, 06:05
Thanks to Maskarade for a very challenging and entertaining Bank Holiday puzzle:-)
3 of 150  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th April 2022, 06:06
8d - You're right, I hadn't noticed that.
4 of 150  -   Report This Post

rocky7

16th April 2022, 07:44
Good morning. Happy Easter or whatever it is you choose to celebrate this fine weekend.

Quick question before I embark on this behemoth of a puzzle. Do the pairs of letters always appear together in the solution or can they be spread apart?
5 of 150  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th April 2022, 07:49
Hi Rocky,

As I still have 3 left unsolved I can't say definitively but in all the clues I have done so far they appear together.
6 of 150  -   Report This Post

jono

16th April 2022, 07:50
Hi Rocky, Happy Easter! I’m about half way and have 15 of them, but can confidently say they always appear together as a pair. They can be inserted at any point in the clued word of course
7 of 150  -   Report This Post

rocky7

16th April 2022, 07:50
OK thanks Brendan. And for the hints re 10 and 66d. They got me started I think. I may be gone some time.
8 of 150  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th April 2022, 08:25
I'm not going to bother. This puzzle has two things I dislike - jumbo size and special instructions!
9 of 150  -   Report This Post

culmer

16th April 2022, 08:48
a meaty challenge from Maskarade so thanks for that....making steady progress but it should keep me out of mischief for quite a while!
10 of 150  -   Report This Post