CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sunray

5th April 2022, 22:47
garble, 1d is anagram of truncated third word.
41 of 66  -   Report This Post

mrsh

6th April 2022, 07:23
Thank you! I would never have finished without you!
42 of 66  -   Report This Post

aspria

6th April 2022, 12:52
Struggling with this. I have full grid except for one but am not sure if the
one-letter replacements at intersections have to be one of the two which clash or whether an extraneous letter will do. I cannot fathom 9ac at all. Can anyone provide a nudge as to the def?
43 of 66  -   Report This Post

jono

6th April 2022, 13:03
Aspira, yes, there are five instances (by my count) of an extraneous letter which is needed to make the intersection work.
9a is explained by Mattrom@39, the original expression would split 4,5 reducing to 3,4 with the removal of first letters. The first letter is then changed for the grid entry
44 of 66  -   Report This Post

simond9x

6th April 2022, 13:05
In each case, one of the clashing letters at the intersection remains in place i.e. no 'third letters' are involved.

In 9a, the first two words are the definition. Not an obvious definition but it is one you'll have heard of.
45 of 66  -   Report This Post

simond9x

6th April 2022, 13:06
Apologies, Jono is correct about the letters (don't know what I was thinking!)
46 of 66  -   Report This Post

aspria

6th April 2022, 14:46
thanks, both. Still can't get 9 but am working on it. Having Covid doesn't help!
47 of 66  -   Report This Post

prospero

7th April 2022, 16:59
just got to this today - very clever, as usual, Hamish - and, as others have said, I thought I would be finished in an hour, only for the last third to take two hours more ... there's something really perverse about filling the answer in with one letter deliberately wrong and no definition to the word you're writing - don't think I would ever get used to that ... I'm certain of the answers to 4 and 7 but, despite the hints given here, still can't really parse them. Thanks again, Hamish - a fun solve.
48 of 66  -   Report This Post

chaddy

8th April 2022, 15:56
Newby solver here. Enjoying this one a lot, but totally flummoxed by 18a - and it looks as though it should be simples! Any hints welcomed
49 of 66  -   Report This Post

jono

8th April 2022, 16:14
On air is a homophone indicator and think of deposits in a geological sense
50 of 66  -   Report This Post