CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

2nd April 2022, 19:11
No problem Roof,

5a - "fear" minus 3 letter (what you would not have if you were) "tone-deaf" (theme word) + "instruments" - definition is plural of another "instrument"

5d - 9 letter "prepared in advance) minus 3 letter "hearing organ" - definition is "composed" as in 'created'

1d - Anagram indicator is "messed" not 'messed up'.
31 of 51  -   Report This Post

rocky7

2nd April 2022, 19:40
Bit like Drjax I'm a bit torn with this one. Picked it up this morning and got nothing after a quick read through. Walk at Mamhead Obelisk and back for a second go when a few things fell into place. But overall I like the fact that there were some clever clues in this that really made you think. For that reason 5a is my COD. Tone deaf indeed.

FOI was 9a like Brendan. Yes, more pluses than minuses I think.
32 of 51  -   Report This Post

biggus56

2nd April 2022, 19:43
I'm sad to say that I found this very boring. Ear, ear, ear, ear, and ear again. I finished it through stubbornness, not satisfaction.
33 of 51  -   Report This Post

roof

2nd April 2022, 19:46
Many thanks Brendan

I've finished apart from the 5s. I hate these clues where you have to take a word out. I know what I have to do with 5d, but can't think of the word for composed or the word for prepared in advance. I hadn't parsed 5ac, so I'll go away and think.

I've not drunk much wine yet!

I've got them now, though there are a number of clues I found difficult to parse - 5ac,10ac, 11ac, 23ac, 24ac, 7d and 19d.

Many thanks to all members of the Forum for their help.

I do the quick crossword every day, but have found that unduly difficult this last week to ten days. Frequently the clues have been very obscure and almost cryptic. Has any one else found the same?

I only do the cryptic on a Saturday
34 of 51  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd April 2022, 19:56
Thanks Roof, glad you got all sorted.

I have to say I am useless at 'normal' crosswords - I prefer cryptics because you get 2 ways to get the answer, definition and wordplay.

That said, there was one by Mobo a couple of weeks ago and I got nowhere, I just could not get on his/her wavelength!
35 of 51  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd April 2022, 19:56
5a take the theme off the first word, then add a 5 lettercwrod for instruments to get a 6 letter word for instruments,
i'm getting more and more irritated by this puzzle!
36 of 51  -   Report This Post

geeker

2nd April 2022, 20:01
Brendan, agreed on Mobo's recent debut (Guardian) cryptic. An utter fiasco for me. Sometimes happens with unfamiliar setters.
37 of 51  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd April 2022, 20:09
"an utter fiasco" 😂 Say what you really think, Geeker 🤣

I had the exact same experience:-)
38 of 51  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd April 2022, 20:44
Pretty sure now that the Mobo puzzle was a collab between Tramp and Monk. Not only are their setter names in the outer lights but so are their real names, Neil and Mark. Tramp basically confirmed this on Twitter, while not being too happy with some of the comments it seems. He did say “admittedly, some of it was difficult for a daily puzzle” !
39 of 51  -   Report This Post

geeker

2nd April 2022, 20:56
Jono, I'm more than pretty certain about Mobo being the collaboration. Convinced by the grid indicators you mentioned. I've nothing against that particular puzzle, simply had trouble solving it and had to use the Reveal button to an embarrassing extent.
40 of 51  -   Report This Post