CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

26th February 2022, 11:53
Okay, thanks Jono, glad it's not just me.
41 of 63  -   Report This Post

qbee

26th February 2022, 12:16
Long term voyeur, new poster picking up on Brendan's invite. Always enjoy the forum, and some weeks it's a vital way to make some progress!

Relatively straight-forward from Paul today I thought, although I'm missing the key rationale of 15a.

It was well up to scratch though with some laugh out loud clues, usually in a Pauline style, my COD being 18D in that regard.

42 of 63  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

26th February 2022, 12:19
15A - found as in initiate, not locate
43 of 63  -   Report This Post

jono

26th February 2022, 12:20
Hi Qbee, and welcome! The wordplay for 15 is a word for ‘found’ (as a verb) shortened by one letter
44 of 63  -   Report This Post

qbee

26th February 2022, 12:42
Thanks, I knew it was a shortened word, just couldn't make the connection!
45 of 63  -   Report This Post

rocky7

26th February 2022, 12:43
Hi Brendan. Yes I'm all green ticked. But I've found in the past different versions do seem to behave differently sometimes.
46 of 63  -   Report This Post

jvector

26th February 2022, 17:54
Felt as if there were more than normal number of shortenings and homophones today. Chopping the end (or start) off a word has never been my favourite clue type. Other than that, this was a fairly quick Paul I thought. I liked he trademark 18d and the clever 22a.
I came here specifically 'cos I didn't get the parsing of 10a, so thank you Brendan & Geeker for enlightening me.

I know the Guardian usually has its crosswords arranged quite a bit in advance, so it must have been just coincidence; but this one did have a very tense vibe appropriate to the current geopolitic situation.
47 of 63  -   Report This Post

luko

26th February 2022, 18:02
First contribution for ages, I've been lurking too late to sensibly join in but today I managed to get to Saturdays crossword on Saturday! Thanks to Paul for a (not too-challenging) workout, with some lovely clues as has been said.
I thought the pass in 10a was a nice but subtle cross-reference to the football reporter in the clue of 11/9. I'm always amused by the way commentators use the phrase to indicate great precision, those of us who had to learn to use the bloody thing will remember that you were often lucky to get three significant digits from it and had to use another process to work out the order of magnitude! As some of you will have recognised, I'm of the generation that spent hours of my school career learning how to use 10a to have them made redundant in the twinkling of an led display just as I left school!
48 of 63  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

26th February 2022, 18:11
Fairly tricky today, had to come here for the parsing of 25A and 8,2, had the correct answers.

A bit of a slow start and then a steady pace.

I liked 10A, 12A, 18A, 18D and 23D best I think.
49 of 63  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

26th February 2022, 18:23
I also liked 5D.

I am wondering if 1A should have toerags instead of toerag unless the S comes from head on spike I suppose
50 of 63  -   Report This Post