CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

26th February 2022, 01:19
10a - actually, you need all 4 letters of the second word to complete the homophone - I think the only letter that is surplus to the homophone is the final letter in the first word.
11 of 63  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th February 2022, 01:26
The definition in 10 escapes me...putting the homophone (3 words before the hyphen) with "measured" I got the answer, but don't understand the phrase "with pass is beautifully".
12 of 63  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th February 2022, 01:31
10a - It's a sporting term often used when referring to a precision or inch perfect pass in a football game, for example, denoting that it was made with great accuracy hence ...... The only words you need for the homophone are "clever" and "dribble" - the rest is the definition - I think!
13 of 63  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th February 2022, 01:32
If you pronounce the 4th letter with the second word you'll get the "dribble"
14 of 63  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th February 2022, 01:37
OK, thanks, that football term was unknown to me on this side of the pond...
15 of 63  -   Report This Post

mathi

26th February 2022, 02:37
10a: I didn’t know this as a sporting term. I was wondering what ‘measured’ had to do with this old calculating device we used long back! Thanks.
16 of 63  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th February 2022, 03:01
I must apologize, Geeker.

For some inexplicable reason, I thought the answer was hyphenated and that's what you were referring to but, of course, I know see you were referring to the hyphen in the clue - you must have wondered what I was going on about 🥵
17 of 63  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th February 2022, 04:29
No problem, Brendan.
I was puzzled for a while, but Internet communication is subject to glitches 😉, and you wound up enlightening me about the football term I'd never seen.
18 of 63  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th February 2022, 04:49
...And my references to the hyphen may have been overly cryptic, due to an extreme fear of spoilers.
19 of 63  -   Report This Post

minty

26th February 2022, 08:04
Hi All
I often pop in here on a Saturday to get hints for answers I haven't got and parsings that I don't understand, but luckily this week Paul was kind and I completed the crossword, but confused by a few parsings.

Thanks Brendan (10A) and geeker (14D) for explaining a couple, but I still don't understand
- 13: I have an answer that fits a cryptic definition of "Leaders in a company unrepresentative of BAME communities". But I don't understand the "that may go to the wall" part, and
- 26: I have an answer that fits the defintion of "match", but I don't get the "a virtual classic " part

Any help appreciated

And thanks for all the weekly comments - keep up the good work!

minty
20 of 63  -   Report This Post