CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

11th December 2021, 18:27
And Brendan (solver) as well. 😊
41 of 74  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th December 2021, 18:32
Thanks Geeker, I was feeling a bit left out 😢😂

PS Still stunned by the Magnus' margin of victory, especially given that, after the first 4 games, I came very close to betting on an entirely drawn scoreline
42 of 74  -   Report This Post

jono

11th December 2021, 18:40
Interested to see that the OED dates the figurative expression, with the plural of 13d (which we are all familiar with) all the way back to 1532. And unlike Chambers it lists the singular word as being hyphenated 6-4 rather than as 10
43 of 74  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th December 2021, 18:42
Yes, the chess result shocked me. Pre-match I gave the challenger close to a 50:50 chance of victory.
Through game 6 I found the individual games interesting and worthy of study/analysis , more so than for many championship matches. But then everything fell apart. Strangely, in the latter stage I kept tuning in to the broadcasts at almost the very moment of the fatal blunders. At least I didn't waste much time on those encounters! And the commentator remarks were funny (Giri, Gajewski).
44 of 74  -   Report This Post

rainman

11th December 2021, 18:53
This was the first World Championship that I have paid attention to, now that coverage is so easy to find on the internet. I would be intrigued to know whether Nepo's blunders would have been so immediately obvious, even to GMs, if the engines didn't explode whenever a mistake was made. After all, it still took Magnus 20 moves to complete yesterday's victory.
45 of 74  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th December 2021, 19:26
I strongly agree that the engine ("evaluation bar") causes kibitzers to be overly critical and claim blunders in non-obvious cases. (A good principle is "don't claim a blunder unless you can demonstrate a refutation on your own!") But in games 9 and 11, the GM commentators I watched (Giri/Polgar, Gajewski added in 11) described (sans engine) why 27. c5 and 23. g3 were blunders, just before the moves appeared on the board.
Funny, I tuned in to game 11 right after 26. Kg1 and (even as a patzer) saw the forced win with 26...ef+ and the rook lift 27...Rd6. Of course I'd never have gotten there, as I'd have overlooked 22...Re4-f4 or any number of earlier moves. I was puzzled that Magnus missed the mate, but Giri pointed out that he probably saw a forced win after 26...Nf5 and didn't bother with other lines.
46 of 74  -   Report This Post

roof

11th December 2021, 19:37
Hi brendan

I've managed to get all the words that you gave me a hint for apart from 14d. I think I have the six letter revolt, but the first 4 letters have defeated me. It must be E?E? to fit with my crossers. Are they wrong?

I've got a few others, but am still struggling. I can't see 11ac. I'm assuming it means abandon and can get the first three leters, but cannot parse the last three. I haven't got 6d or 7d. Also 4d has defeated me. I'd assumed it is an anagram of vicar and something. I've read the thread and see it is an anagram twice, but I'm mystified. I'm also stuck on 1d and 8ac. I haven't even tackled the lower half yet. I might have to leave it until tomorrow. More hints gratefull received. I was supposed to be making my mincemeat this afternoon.

I hope you have recovered from your booster.
47 of 74  -   Report This Post

rocky7

11th December 2021, 19:53
First time for a long time this has beaten me. I keep putting it down and coming back but I think I must have something wrong somewhere because I have too many clues where I can't conjure up any words that fit. I shall try again tomorrow but right now this has done for me.
48 of 74  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th December 2021, 19:54
Thanks Roof,

14d - The first 4 letters are split 3,1 but your first E is wrong.

11a - First 2 letters are A B(ook) then the next 2 are "half one month or another" then finally 2 letter "half read"

6d - 3 letter "experienced" + single letter "judge" - definition is "trip ti holy place"

7d - Is "imperial position" with the first 2 letters swapped around/reshuffle at top - definition is "fame"
49 of 74  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th December 2021, 19:58
4d - Is actually a straight anagram and the letters are given twice but the start and end take a bit of working out - definition is "organs"

1d - 3 letter slang term for "damn" + A + 3 letter "oath" - definition is "deny".
50 of 74  -   Report This Post