CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

4th December 2021, 12:13
Agree about 2d. A synonym for ‘critic’ would have worked better I think
21 of 36  -   Report This Post

rocky7

4th December 2021, 12:31
Fairly straightforward but enjoyable. Still haven't got 4d despite many helpful hints on here. Can't parse 20d so wondering if I have the right answer.
22 of 36  -   Report This Post

gweilo

4th December 2021, 12:43
@rocky7

I parsed 20d as a double definition. Although neither definition is the one currently most associated the solution.
23 of 36  -   Report This Post

rocky7

4th December 2021, 12:49
Yes that's the definition I have Gweilo but it feels a bit clunky.
24 of 36  -   Report This Post

spinynorman1

4th December 2021, 14:58
Hi - I can’t parse 14a for the life of me even with the hints provided so far. Can someone please give an additional hint without a full spoiler. Many thanks!
25 of 36  -   Report This Post

actonhighstreet

4th December 2021, 15:18
The PDM will come when you see how the last three letters can stand for "boss".

I haven't finished the whole puzzle yet, but I laughed out loud at 12 across and 15 down.
26 of 36  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th December 2021, 16:36
Late to the party this week as I had a pretty bad reaction to my booster shot yesterday and have only just felt up to tackling it😢

As others have already said, it wasn't too difficult which, given my throbbing head, slight fever and aching arm, is a good thing 😃

Thanks to Crucible:-)
27 of 36  -   Report This Post

roof

4th December 2021, 17:20
Hi Brendan

Sorry to hear about your reaction to the booster. I know how you feel. It is a pain - literally. I did get over mine after a few days.

Well I've found this crossword quite easy, but have still ground to a halt on the south west corner. My FOI was 11ac and so far my COD is 1d followed by 15d. I also liked 2d and 5d. I haven't checked the second meaning of 4d, but am confident I know what a stable dam is.

There are several I can't fully parse. 10ac, 12ac, 14ac (I can't see the boss) and 21ac

Please can I have hints for any of 17d, 20d, 22ac and 24ac. One or two should help me get the rest and still have time to wrap some gifts and write some cards, It must be Christmas.
28 of 36  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th December 2021, 17:41
Thanks Roof, I've taken some paracetamol so hopefully I'll be my usual bubbly self before too long:-)

17d - Straight anagram - definition is "introduced"

20d - Double definition.

22a - This is tricky. 2 letter "gold" then 2 letter "academician" inside 3 letter "eggs" - definition is "light displays"

24a - 4 letter "craving" (sort of) around single letter "new" - definition is "sierra".
29 of 36  -   Report This Post

roof

4th December 2021, 18:04
Many thanks Brendan

I should have got 17d myself, doh. I agree with everyone else that the craving in 24ac is not a usual definition. Your help with 22ac was important and enabled me to get 20d. I was on the wrong track completely with the latter clue.

I'm off to finish my book. Christmas can wait until tomorrow.

I expect you will feel better soon. The brain mush for several days was a problem for me, but I wasn't sure if that was a result of the booster or the Codeine I started taking for my shoulder pain.

Nice to get an easy crossword for a change, especially after the quick crosswords lately, which have been especially difficult, though today's was a bit easier.
30 of 36  -   Report This Post