CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

grahamr

4th September 2021, 15:51
This was a hard one! Still stuck with parsing the following - all help gratefully received.

16a Thus case made for cable transport (5)
I have B-I-S, looks like Bliss but why?

43a Associate with endless video game to a negligible degree (15)
Looks like infinitesimally which is the definition of the second part, but what of the first part?

50d Jabber, endless overpromotion coming to nothing (4)

I have H-P- Hyp{e}o would fit, but don't see what it's got to do with jabber.
1 of 28  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th September 2021, 15:57
HYPO(dermic syringe) is the "jabber". HYP(e) with O
2 of 28  -   Report This Post

jono

4th September 2021, 16:33
Infinite sim (an endless video game ) with ally
3 of 28  -   Report This Post

grahamr

4th September 2021, 16:35
Thanks for that. What is going on 49a where the clue is Cafeteria finally leaving rolls out for lunch (7)??? Rolls out is launches, removed the last letter of cafeteria and you get lunches, which is staring at you in the clue! Do you think it's a setter error?
4 of 28  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th September 2021, 16:40
mistakenly discussed on this thread

https://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/819167/saturday-times-28074/
5 of 28  -   Report This Post

loge

4th September 2021, 16:42
16: It is BLISS. Read it as BL IS S, so the BL in CABLE becomes S to give you CASE. But surely it should be "made FROM cable"?
6 of 28  -   Report This Post

malone

4th September 2021, 17:04
THanks, ChrisE. I'd wondered about posting again - on the proper thread - but felt I might be giving the clue more attention than it deserved!
7 of 28  -   Report This Post

bear of lb

4th September 2021, 17:09
Thanks for this interchange, which cleared up two of my outstanding (cruciverbal) problems.

But what on earth is 22D? I have T?P ?A? I don't think that TOP HAT can be right........
8 of 28  -   Report This Post

malone

4th September 2021, 17:13
Bear,it's always good to give the clue. I think 22 D involved PH, public house, inside To A T.
9 of 28  -   Report This Post

bear of lb

4th September 2021, 17:18
Malone

Thanks. Normally I'd have cited the clue but I assumed that on this occasion likely readers would have it.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm still a trifle narked by last week's puzzle when one answer read "A penny for YOUR thoughts" although the Times crossword Editor had informed readers some years ago that
"you" & "yours" would be eschewed in favour of "one" or "ones".
10 of 28  -   Report This Post