CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

4th September 2021, 17:27
Bear, thanks - the clues are good for those who aren't doing the puzzle. I don't do the Guardian or most of the Telegraph puzzles, but I enjoy attempting any clues that are posted here.

Yes, I thought the 'your' thoughts was a little odd - but only because we're in crosswordland. In the real world, I've never heard anyone use 'ones' in that phrase.
11 of 28  -   Report This Post

loge

4th September 2021, 17:29
In fairness, Bear, the expression is only used when speaking to another person so "one's" wouldn't make sense in this case. It's "your" in the Chambers entry. There's a difference between this and expressions like "sit on one's hands" and "fall on one's feet" which can be used in the third person. At least I think there is.
12 of 28  -   Report This Post

jono

4th September 2021, 17:42
I don’t do the Times but I enjoy having a crack at the occasional clue posted here, though I’m usually too slow ;-)
13 of 28  -   Report This Post

strangelybrown

4th September 2021, 20:01
Glad the shocker at 49a was raised, I couldn't believe that was the answer but it couldn't be anything else.

43a also annoying, shouldn't the word order of the clue be: Endless video game with associate to a negligible degree? I also agree with loge that the wording of 6a seems wrong.

47d Ate together with doctor, being invited in (6)
Is this messed? If so, what's 'esse'?

28a Kid to remove quickly on being constrained by age (4,1,4,3,2)
Pull a fast one on?
I can't see the age.
14 of 28  -   Report This Post

malone

4th September 2021, 20:03
SB, Esse is being, essence - it's inside (invited in) MD, doctor.

15 of 28  -   Report This Post

jono

4th September 2021, 20:28
28 PULL (to remove) + FAST (quickly) + ON (constrained by) AEON (age)
16 of 28  -   Report This Post

grahamr

4th September 2021, 20:38
28a I see as PULL (remove) + {FAST (quickly) + ON} surrounded by AEON,
17 of 28  -   Report This Post

strangelybrown

4th September 2021, 20:47
Thank you.
18 of 28  -   Report This Post

strangelybrown

4th September 2021, 22:27
39a Stole a piece of bread, and intended to tuck in? (10)
Wraparound? If a piece of bread = a round, how does wrap = intended to tuck in?
19 of 28  -   Report This Post

loge

4th September 2021, 22:39
I think it's wrap (stole) a round (sandwich, I suppose). Chambers gives designed so as to be wrapped round the body with one edge overlapping the other, and tied, tucked in as a definition of wraparound.

I quit doing Jumbos a while ago - to be honest I find them a bit of a chore. Looking at some of the clues raised here, I'm glad I did!
20 of 28  -   Report This Post