CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

strangelybrown

5th September 2021, 11:28
Certainly agree with you Loge that this Jumbo is a chore, perhaps it’s time I stopped doing them too.
21 of 28  -   Report This Post

manxhatter

5th September 2021, 14:16
24d. Attend to harvest one’s corn, perhaps, crossing river (5,2,4,4).
I came across the same solution to this clue in Private Eye in 1973.
Listen! It’s quite an athletic feat if you can achieve it (5,2,4,4)
I can date this because I can remember doing that crossword in the Students Union at Hull University
22 of 28  -   Report This Post

rocketman

6th September 2021, 10:45
This Jumbo has been the hardest ever, a real brain buster, and I still have two I just can't see. These cross each other and are:-
54 Across - "Investigating officers confronting evasive traveller" (7)
D-D---Y
48 Down - "Ideal Burgundy and something drinker goes after?" (5)
E-H--
23 of 28  -   Report This Post

hagleymum

6th September 2021, 11:26
Did you get the answers to these two clues? I’m still stuck on them!
24 of 28  -   Report This Post

loge

6th September 2021, 11:38
54 is DI DI COY

48 must be ETHIC. I think it's ET (French and) with HIC (something drinker goes, i.e. noise you make when drunk) afterwards.

Now I'm really glad I quit doing the Jumbo!
25 of 28  -   Report This Post

rocketman

6th September 2021, 11:50
Many thanks, Loge - these clues really are abstruse! I've never even
thought about how to spell DIDICOY, and was constantly wrestling with
"DIS" for the investigating officers until I got the second "D"(the third letter). Hagleymum will also be pleased to hear these answers too!
26 of 28  -   Report This Post

hagleymum

6th September 2021, 11:56
Indeed! Thanks. Had just got them and finished the rest of the puzzle. But it left us feeling annoyed at much of the parsing, word order, definitions etc- as discussed this week- rather than “chuffed.”
27 of 28  -   Report This Post

kenhiggs

8th September 2021, 14:51
Reporting in to agree with comments about some of the p**spoor clues this week. The ST cryptic has also been guilty recently.

I understand why folk can't be bothered, but I submit in the hope of winning a prize which I would probably give away, but be comforted by having offset some of my subscription. I won a hundred quid on a Monthly Special last year😃
28 of 28  -   Report This Post