CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

10th July 2021, 20:09
Got a few more using some hints from the thread, but still at sea over the theme. I thought originally that the answers to the themed clues must start with A or I, but that doesn't work. I have an answer for 13ac, though I have never heard of the religious celebration, but I found it on google.

Please can I have some clarification on the theme(s) and a hint for 17ac for which I have no letters! I'm still struggling with 8d despite the hints here. I've no idea what an old scanner is for 10ac. Is it a coat hanger? (sorry if this turns out to be a spoiler).
81 of 145  -   Report This Post

janusz

10th July 2021, 20:14
roof, 17a is an anagram, meaningful study is the straight clue.
82 of 145  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

10th July 2021, 20:14
I've not got 10A either but I have an idea which fits (but it's not same as yours).

There's something about the case (upper/lower) of the letters in the theme which is important ;)
83 of 145  -   Report This Post

janusz

10th July 2021, 20:17
roof, read chrise @50, a helpful hint.
84 of 145  -   Report This Post

vinnygrey

10th July 2021, 20:31
10a parses as 3, 7 - someone with a phobia of a particular vehicle…
85 of 145  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

10th July 2021, 20:32
My idea for 10A is defo wrong then.

It's not HANGER anyway 2nd word since there's one of the theme words going down which does not agree, unless I am very much mistaken.
86 of 145  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

10th July 2021, 20:57
Now I have 10A :) For some reason I thought the 4 ended with E, must be drunk again!
87 of 145  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

10th July 2021, 21:50
Now I have 8D and needed all the hints in this thread.. it's tough.
88 of 145  -   Report This Post

twoshortplanks

10th July 2021, 21:56
Hello, I'm another lurker finally moved to post for the first time. First I want to say thank you to all the regulars on this forum whose wisdom I've benefitted from each week as a crossword newbie.
Recently I thought I'd been doing quite well, but came completely unstuck this week. Like some others, I'm doing the paper version so was missing the vital special instruction until I read this forum. Then I stared at chrise's hint for ages, but still couldn't figure out what was going on. In case it's helpful to anyone else still struggling with the theme, it was 13a that helped the penny drop for me. It seemed to be missing a definition. I figured out a likely letter for it to begin with, and then had an idea of the answer from that and the two crossers I had. Then I remembered something that paradigmshifter had said and bingo! My son has a useful aid in his room that helped us fill in the other themed clues. I'm not done yet, but feeling much less bamboozled - thanks all.
89 of 145  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

10th July 2021, 22:00
I think 20D was the easiest of the themed clues to find but 27A is a proper red herring... devious on Paul's part!
90 of 145  -   Report This Post