CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

26th June 2021, 18:35
Rainman are you referring to the John Nott and 11d interview?
41 of 65  -   Report This Post

rainman

26th June 2021, 18:42
That's the one. It was probably over the top, although Nott was gracious enough to name his autobiography after the phrase. However, I think it's still preferable to letting interviewees routinely lie without any consequences.
42 of 65  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

26th June 2021, 18:43
Well it was the title of John Nott's autobiography ;)

I remember him (from QT mainly) but you'd have to be around my age (49) I expect to not have to google it.
43 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th June 2021, 18:44
Got it, thanks guys.
44 of 65  -   Report This Post

roof

26th June 2021, 19:21
Hi everyone

I'm not sure if I'll bother with this one. I spent much of the afternoon puzzling over the wrong crossword - yesterday's Paul - and I only got four. I'm not sure I've got the energy or the brainpower to try this one. But, I've read through the thread so I might have a bit of a go.

Apologies to those over the pond (minno), but it is "got" not "gotten" in English. I'm a pedant trying to stamp out this usage. I'm not making much progress.

By the way, I use Chambers crossword companion (a book) to help me think of synonyms. Is this cheating?

45 of 65  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th June 2021, 19:25
I found Paul's Friday Grauniad crossword incredibly difficult and gave up. Which is really unusual, as I've historically been "on Paul's wavelength" more than for any other setter.
46 of 65  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th June 2021, 19:26
Hi Roof,

I don't think that's cheating - it's not that different from using a Chambers dictionary.

PS. I tried yesterday's Paul and only got about 4 so don't let that put you off.

PPS. How did your Bridge evening go?
47 of 65  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

26th June 2021, 19:31
I use thesaurus.com and wikipedia all the time it would be far too hard for me otherwise to know all the obscure words and artists etc.

I would use a dictionary, thesaurus and encyclopedia if one was around and there was no internet.

I don't think it's cheating it's better to make good progress and learn new words, or learn about people by reading wiki. Obviously googling the clue and looking at the answer is cheating though.
48 of 65  -   Report This Post

roof

26th June 2021, 21:24
Thanks Brendan and Paradigmshifter

I've now made quite a lot of progress thanks to the hints on the forum and learnt some new words --9ac and 2d for example. I've still got a few to do including 5ac (only one word fits and it has nothing to do with the clue), 19ac, 25ac, 2d, 21d, 22d and 23d. I'll ponder a bit more and then come back I have an answer for 2d, but can't parse it. I've just got it!

Perhaps I could have a hint for 25ac for when I come back later. I have ?D???I?E

Brendan
My bridge session went well. We're all retired in U3A (University of the Third Age) so we can play in the afternoon. We were all a bit rusty after not playing for so long, but we're a good group of people. My husband wasn't happy that there were 13 of us (three tables plus a floater), but everyone has had the double vaccination. I think they like coming to my house for the cakes I make!

49 of 65  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

26th June 2021, 21:28
"Ignore Cold" should help you with that one.
50 of 65  -   Report This Post