CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

19th June 2021, 21:45
luko, I think 13a parses as "English post" (1,5) around "its writer shortened" (2, abbrev. also used in 9); defn. "letter".

First posting: I'm on US East Coast, so convenient to start as soon as the puzzle appears online. I prefer to let Brendan start the thread, but I liked this week's so much I couldn't wait!
81 of 93  -   Report This Post

geeker

19th June 2021, 21:49
Oops, make that (1,4). I often mistype posts. :-(
82 of 93  -   Report This Post

luko

19th June 2021, 21:52
Alcram,
22a is one letter for the first four words of the clue, and the rest meaning permit (as a verb) - is also a TV quiz programme
26a can split 3, 4, 2: the first four words, another crossword setter (and theme), wearing - meaning an obscure nsme for an old sailor's hat
23d definition is one of (a particular set of) four, two two-letter words for 'attend' then a quarter of 'lectures'
27d: your D is wrong. The definition is a post that a particular 6d held in regard to people of Corinth and related places; the usual letter for 'good' below ('supporting') a three letter word for (related) people
83 of 93  -   Report This Post

luko

19th June 2021, 21:59
Thanks geeker, I get it now.
I must add that your other advantage is with the irritating capchas, which use words like 'crosswalk' that we never meet and have nothing that ever looks like a taxi to me in London!
84 of 93  -   Report This Post

geeker

19th June 2021, 22:01
And Brendan almost always solves and posts before I'm done solving (didn't mean to suggest otherwise). But every once in a while a blind squirrel finds an acorn, blind pig digs up a truffle, etc...
85 of 93  -   Report This Post

aicram

19th June 2021, 22:27
Thanks so much Luko. Have now finished and can sleep peacefully!
27D - Don't know why I put D and I had an N. Kept thinking there must be a G in it somewhere!
86 of 93  -   Report This Post

roof

20th June 2021, 00:15
Just to let you know that I finished it all by getting the answer to 23d, which I now think is the best clue in the crossword. I must get some sleep.

It is still raining - yippee, full water butts tomorrow I hope.
87 of 93  -   Report This Post

docrum

20th June 2021, 10:31
Cheers Rainman. That unlocked things for me. Turns out I knew 29a, but rejected it because I had something else wrong.
88 of 93  -   Report This Post

jvector

20th June 2021, 11:54
Thanks to all in the forum for helping me understand why 19a was three, four or five (never played the game; I agree with Oscar Wilde about it) and the parse of 13a and 27d. I think 27d was maybe the hardest clue to 'get', and so many contenders for top clue. Loved the interweaving of the thematics.Bravo Brendan.
89 of 93  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

20th June 2021, 18:25
Wasn't as hard as last week but I had a few wrong so got stuck at the end.

I had 9A wrong (I started it with CR instead) and 26A I had another word for recording the number of something (T?T?L).

23D was my favourite one I think.
90 of 93  -   Report This Post